What phones can you still get the $15/month for limited data plan?
erica102295

I am aware Verizon has switched over to the "Share Everything" plan. I think it's obsurd to charge $50 a month for only 1GB of data to share with the whole family. Anybody who pays for that, must be insane. But, that's not what I'm asking about.              I have talked to my local Verizon store and they said I can keep my plan if I just want to upgrade my phone. There are 3 other phones on my plan, by the way. I have a basic Samsung Rogue that has unlimited texting and a shared amount of minutes for phone calls. I asked about changing my phone to a smart phone and they said I could have the $45/month plan, or whatever it was, for unlimited everything. That was just a little bit more than what I was willing to spend. I considered switching carriers and decided against it, as Verizon seems to have the best coverage. Then, it occured to me that they used to offer a limited data plan that my sister had before she got unlimited. I thought it was about $15 on top of what I already pay, but I'm not for sure. So, since I am still on my old plan, would it be possible to add the limited data package to my plan?? Also, if that is possible, what phones have an option to have a data plan? Can it just be any smart phone? I would prefer a touch screen phone.

All answers are appreciated. Thank you!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What phones can you still get the $15/month for limited data plan?
Newyork_92
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello! Just to clear up it is not $50 for only 1GB. you get unlimited talk and text to any one as well for all your lines. But besides that with a basic phone you can add a $10 75MB data plan or have pay per use for $1.99 a MB or any of the higher data plans also. The data plan you mentioned of $15 is not available. With smart phones a minimum data plan of $30 with 2GB of data is required. You can not add a $10 75MB data plan to a smart phone. That is only available for basic phones. There are a few touch screen basic phones that look like smart phones with out the pricey data plan.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The $50 per month for 1GB of data on the Share Everything plan also includes the hot spot feature.  Are you on one of the Nationwide plans, or an older plan?  If on the recent plan, you should be able to upgrade your phone to a smartphone and choose a tiered data package (i.e., $30 for 2 GB of data).  You do not have to switch to the Share Everything plan if you don't want to.

0 Likes
Newyork_92
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you do add a line to your account you will then have to switch to the share everything plan. As long as no new lines are added then you can remain with your current plan.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not true.  You can add a line to your account without switching to the Share Everything plan.  The only catch is if you have five lines already on your Nationwide Family Share plan.  Since five is the limit, additional lines would need their own plan and since Share Everything is all that's currently offered, then those lines would be on Share Everything.

0 Likes
Newyork_92
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes it is true. when you add a line you are required to change to the share everything plan.

<Moderator comment. This information is incorrect. Current customer are not required to switch to the Share Everything Plan if the customer deals with a corporate store or VZW directly through Customer Service.<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You may want to re-consider the post you just left in this thread, then:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/889353#889353

I'm sure all those folks who added lines to their accounts (at Verizon's suggestion, in a lot of cases) to get a subsidized iPhone 5 would also disagree with you.

0 Likes
Newyork_92
Enthusiast - Level 3

this is besides the point of the topic of this thread.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are the one that brought up adding a line. 

And to quote a Verizon employee:  "You are able to add another line to your existing plan without migrating to the new Share Everything plan."

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/835288#835288

0 Likes
Newyork_92
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yo do relaize that is from july 6. It is now october. Things change.

0 Likes