not charging but get msg 'connected charger is incompatible with this phone...'?
saim777

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900V-SW which l dropped in the grass last week - it has a rugged case. No damage was visible. The next day, I plugged in my original charger and I got a notification 'Unable to charge'. I used a different cable, outlet, battery and it still won't charge. We have another S5 and my battery charges fine in this device with same and different cable/outlet. I tried the other battery in my phone and it also won't charge. I checked the cable connection and cleaned out the charging port but no difference.

So I went to verizon store and they were useless. They pointed me to a repair shop and the Samsung counter at best buy. Here, a Samsung level 1 tech tried troubleshooting. He cleared my cache, booted in safe mode, did the recent system update but nothing helped. He tried connecting my phone to his laptop to perform diagnostics but my device is not even recognized on his/my laptop so he couldn't flash. He thought it was a software issue but I am not convinced.

I borrowed an external charger and extra battery so now that's how I power my device.

In the last few days, I get a similar message on my phone but I'm not even charging my device!

"The connected charger is incompatible with this phone. To prevent damage to your phone, charging has been stopped. To continue charging, use the original charger and cable that were provided with this phone." Battery Icon goes from red X to 3/4 white @ 88%.

It seems to be getting worse. Sometimes this message pops up every ten seconds even when it's just sitting on my desk. During a phone call, it buzzes at me - so annoying!

I'm thinking the drop did have an effect on my device. Could it be a loose cable, damaged charging port, or something else? Anyone else had this issue? How do I fix this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: not charging but get msg 'connected charger is incompatible with this phone...'?
Algorbic
Enthusiast - Level 1

We now have another replacement phone and it seems to be working fine.

On Feb 24, 2016 10:22 AM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: not charging but get msg 'connected charger is incompatible with this phone...'?
sdgoodlife
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same problem. I've had this phone for more than a year, then suddenly today it starts complaining about an incompatible power source. I've tried every adapter in the house, with original cables and connecting to the USB port on my laptop.

I did download/install the latest system updates in mid December. This is highly suspicious and points to a big bug in Samsung/Verizon software.

If they don't release a fix I will make sure everyone knows why I had to switch carriers and get rid of my [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] Samsung phone.

0 Likes
sdgoodlife
Enthusiast - Level 2

I noticed that the charger works - but only in ultra power saving mode.

The next morning, after fully charging it, went back to standard mode and the charger(s) were working again.

This is definitely a software bug.

0 Likes
redss24

The same thing is happening to my phone also. Has anyone heard what the cause is?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a reliable phone to charge is crucial for everyday life redss24 and I can see why you’d be looking for a cause. To help better understand why it’s happening I’d like to ask a few questions. Is there any physical or water damage to the phone? How long ago did it start happening?

StevenM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Algorbic
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem.  I have two Galaxy 5S phones.  One charges with no problems.  The other phone started saying that the charger was incompatible.  The charger and cable are both the ones that came with the phone.  Note that I have two sets of chargers & cables and both work okay with my phone, but not my wife's phone.  Yesterday I had the phone replaced under warranty.  Today the problem is now back on the replacement phone.  I tried swapping out the batteries, restarting, reinstalling battery, starting the phone in safe mode, charging powered off, removing the SD memory and removing the SIM card.  The battery still would still not charge.  In every case the phone was saying "charger incompatible".  The phone does charge very slowly ( 1%/Hr ) in the Ultra-Power Saving mode.  Even then the message "charger incompatible" is present.

My only option is to keep replacing the phone under warrant until one of them works or the cause of the problem is corrected.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Algorbic,

Thanks so much for visiting our community member forums, Algorbic. We completely understand wanting such an issue resolved. As far as you can recall, when these issues began to recurr on her replacement phone even before she had re-added any applications to her phone? It's highly unusual for something like this to happen right away on a replacement device. I know you mentioned you had tried Safe Mode, but was that after anything was added. Safe mode will prevent any third party apps from running, but I'm wondering if there may be an issue with a core app or service. Any OS updates available to her phone? It does sound like another replacement may be in order here. Keep us posted.

EricW_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Algorbic
Enthusiast - Level 1

We now have another replacement phone and it seems to be working fine.

On Feb 24, 2016 10:22 AM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes
AZADAS70

This just started happening on my J7 V and I didn't even have it connected to anything.  It was laying on my desk and I saw it was lit.  I picked it up thinking I had a message, but it was this message.  I restarted it and it still came up.  At the bottom of the error message was a link to "notification settings" so I selected it but I didn't see anything relevant to the charger so I backed out of settings.  I turned it off and let it sit for about 20 min before turning it on.  And it popped up again.  How do I fix it?  I did not drop it or get it wet , as I said, it was just sitting on my desk.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AZADAS70, we always want your devices to be working properly. Allow us to look further into yours. Do you recall anything changing on your device before the charging error popped up? Any software updates, new apps downloaded, etc? Is there any physical damage to the device:

ChristineK_VZW

0 Likes