When To Install SD Card Into Replacement Note7 - Before or After Smart Switch?
_BrianZ
Contributor - Level 1

Now that I have the replacement Note7, I plan to cable it to the recalled Note7 and transfer everything over using Smart Switch, but I only have the one SD card from the recalled Note7.  So, should I move the SD card to the new Note7 before turning them on to do the transfer or after the transfer?

I would guess before, if I want to have my camera, etc. configured to save to the SD card.

How did you do your transfer successfully?  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When To Install SD Card Into Replacement Note7 - Before or After Smart Switch?
_BrianZ
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, installing the card first worked fine, and Smart Switch did as well, transferring most apps and even configuring home screen folders & layout of app icons.  I still had to configure a number of apps using configuration & data files exported from apps on the old phone or restore data from cloud storage for some cloud-based apps.  There were a couple of Samsung apps I needed to re-download, as well as a bunch of Verizon junkware to delete, including disabling the DT Ignite malware. 

The Smart Switch option was not offered immediately, but only after being promoted first to put the two phones back-to-back fir an NFC connection to transfer some basic data, then logging into Google for restoring critical phone data.

I will never use Verizon's Cloud service for anything important, if for no other reason than just for spite, but also because 5gb is inadequate.  The spite is because Verizon removed Samsung's built-in cloud backup & restore service from the settings menu that provided 15gb of free storage, as well as other useful utilities & replaced the Samsung settings menu with an inferior one designed to advance Verizon's profit motive.  It's inexcuseable & something I will not forget.  I wish Verizon would just keep their hands off of the manufacturer's default settings, and the installation configuration routine as well.  It's very annoying.

Thanks again.  I would have selected your answer as the correct one, if you had not mentioned Verizon Cloud, and if it wouldn't prevent anyone else from adding comments or questions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: When To Install SD Card Into Replacement Note7 - Before or After Smart Switch?
marcuss_vzw
Verizon Employee

_BrianZ, We're so glad to see that you have gotten your replacement! Smart Switch is an awesome choice, to transfer your files. Anything already saved to your SD card will come up once you put it into the new phone. You should insert the SD card into the new phone first, then do the Smart Switch and check to see if everything transferred. The safest thing to do is backup all of your content to the Verizon Cloud just to be cautious.

Marcuss_VZW

0 Likes
_BrianZ
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, installing the card first worked fine, and Smart Switch did as well, transferring most apps and even configuring home screen folders & layout of app icons.  I still had to configure a number of apps using configuration & data files exported from apps on the old phone or restore data from cloud storage for some cloud-based apps.  There were a couple of Samsung apps I needed to re-download, as well as a bunch of Verizon junkware to delete, including disabling the DT Ignite malware. 

The Smart Switch option was not offered immediately, but only after being promoted first to put the two phones back-to-back fir an NFC connection to transfer some basic data, then logging into Google for restoring critical phone data.

I will never use Verizon's Cloud service for anything important, if for no other reason than just for spite, but also because 5gb is inadequate.  The spite is because Verizon removed Samsung's built-in cloud backup & restore service from the settings menu that provided 15gb of free storage, as well as other useful utilities & replaced the Samsung settings menu with an inferior one designed to advance Verizon's profit motive.  It's inexcuseable & something I will not forget.  I wish Verizon would just keep their hands off of the manufacturer's default settings, and the installation configuration routine as well.  It's very annoying.

Thanks again.  I would have selected your answer as the correct one, if you had not mentioned Verizon Cloud, and if it wouldn't prevent anyone else from adding comments or questions.

0 Likes