Solution s20 FE 5g issues
Livebythefly
Enthusiast - Level 3

The s20fe will not switch back to 4g ven when the 5g signal is weak.  Cha nging settings in the networks menu will not lock the device to 4g. It will choose 5g no matter what you do.

Verizon cannot fix the issue.  This began after the last update.  Verizon refused to switch out my phone without me spending hundreds of dollars on a new device. 

I found an app that sticks the phone in 4g.  It's working very well.  It's called forge 4g/5g only.  Choose LTE and it keeps the phone on LTE.  The phone has not moved to 5g one time since I set it up, unless I changed the settings.  

Labels (1)
Re: Solution s20 FE 5g issues
DMathews1
Contributor - Level 3

Unfortunately if someone has a 5g Verizon phone with a 5g plan (unlimited plan) there is NOTHING one can do to get the phone off of 5g via  Verizon;  and in many places throughout the Country the "older 4G LTE" is faster/better than the "new & improved Nationwide 5G service".

However, if someone is in an area where Nationwide 5G just isn't available, the phone should show 4G LTE in the top right corner of the phone.   When in Nationwide 5G territory, the phone will automatically show 5g in status bar.  Once you're on the 5G you can't get off of it!

It's good that you were able to find an alternate was to get rid of Verizon Nationwide 5G.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The Samsung Galaxy S20fe is a fantastic Smartphone and we certainly want to ensure that you're able to access our 5G UW service when traveling in our network coverage areas that provide signal access. This unique device automatically reverts to 4G LTE network signal coverage when it's not able to access our 5G UW signal. We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with this and we're here to help.  Software updates are intended to enhance the performance of any device and not cause its user to be inconvenienced. I apologize. We've also noted your reference about usign an app to help with this matter (Forge 4G/5G only). Please keep in mind that Verizon doesn't support that app. We'd be more than glad to troubleshoot with you. How does this work for you? -

RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
Livebythefly
Enthusiast - Level 3

Troubleshooting with Verizon involved 3 devices, 2 sim cards, multiple factory resets, conflicting messages about what data settings I should or shouldn't be using, and a lot of my time wasted.  It also involved agents attempting to upsell me to a s20+, purchase a signal booster, and ask me why I did not have device insurance many times over. 

The device refuses to stay in 4g if there is a faintest 5g signal.  Even if there is not enough to open an app.  To chat with Verizon I had to login to my home wifi.  

DMathews1
Contributor - Level 3

Does the third party app you spoke about still work for you?  If so, are you getting decent data speeds when using it?

I personally know how lame customer service is with verizon... That even goes up to the highest office within verizon. The executive vice president's office. They have no clue what they're talking about... And when you catch them saying things that are totally untrue, they say "Oh well, I'm sorry".  And this is coming from the highest office you can get to within verizon! Their customer service is a joke!!! 😡

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It concerns us to hear about the issues that you have been having. We want to make sure that we are on the same page. Are you having issues with your data speeds? DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
DMathews1
Contributor - Level 3

There are two people posting problems with Verizon.  Who is your question directed to??? It might be nice if you included a name, or is that a little difficult?

By the way, it has been 2 days since the other poster and I posted to this thread.  It's nice to see that Verizon is quick to provide help to its customers who pay premium prices for this "service". 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We strive to provide industry leading customer support for all our customers. If you did not have that experience, we are saddened and want to ensure you have it in the future. Please let us know if there any issues we can assist with. - ErichC_VZW

0 Likes
DMathews1
Contributor - Level 3

ErichC-

Let me tell you and others what Verizon's "Industry Leading Customer Support" happens to be.   I phoned in to your "support" an hour and  a half ago (611).   I clearly said I needed "Technical Support" during the recorded answer machine ; after waiting for 40 minutes, a person answered my call who "was not technical support".

So as part of Verizon's "Industry Leading Customer Support", I waited another 15 mins to get someone from the Philippines Verizon "customer service"  to pick up the call.  (total time so far 55 mins.)  I guess Verizon has found a way to save some money by sending Customer Service Calls to the Philippines.

So, the person I spoke with (Ana) claimed to be a tier-2 tech support person, but it was clear that she was not tier-2;  she was clueless about solving my tech issue.  Then after leaving me on hold for 10 minutes, she dropped my call... and although she has my phone number, she did NOT give me the courtesy of a return call.

So, with Verizon's  "Industry Leading Customer Support" I had to call back and once again my call, after waiting on hold for 20 more minutes, was routed to the Philippines for "service".    Now I've been waiting 10-15 minutes to get routed to a Supervisor/manager to report my Verizon "Industry Leading Customer Support". 

I have been a customer of Verizon for over 15 years.  There was a time when Verizon had the "best customer support"... Unfortunately, now Verizon must be among the worst "customer service departments" in the industry.  And oddly enough, you refer to it as "Industry Leading Customer Support".   Are we talking about the same Company?  Verizon?  There are thousands of Verizon customers who feel differently. - - And, btw I'm still on hold with the Philippines... almost 2 hours wasted with your company, and my problem is no where near being solved!!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can further aid you through here. Please send us a Private note to continue.

0 Likes