Call Waiting Tone when receiving text messages during a call
Fly75

I transferred my line to VZW about 3 weeks ago.  Since transferring everytime I get a text message while on a phone call I get a call waiting tone.  This only happens during a phone call.  I get a normal message tone when recording a text message outside of a phone call.  I have checked the settings (to include the message tone) and can't find any issue. I also had a Samsung rep check the settings at Best Buy as well.  This started on a S10e and I have since switched to a S10+ as it has continued.  Any suggestions to fix this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Call Waiting Tone when receiving text messages during a call
Fly75

Update: The beep beep notification is actually different from a call waiting beep beep.  The tone is nearly the same but the timimg between the beeps is a little closer together for the message notification than call waiting.  

After talking with VZW Tier 2 Tech Support yesterday, they stated that the beep beep notification for a message during a phone call is now a normal part of the android system.  This seemed to be confirmed with comments from tech support operators that there phone has started exhibiting the same behavior.  Additionally,  during a google search I found an article stating this issue started with Android Oreo (https://www.xda-developers.com/android-oreo-notification-phone-call).  However, I didn’t have this problem though on my Samsung S9+ on T-Mobile.  This is very annoying as the beep beep is hard to differentiate from a call waiting beep so...a couple of follow up questions.

1) Is this a Verizon specific issue?

2) I’m on a Verizon version of the S10+.  Would an unlocked version have the same problem?

P.S.  Maybe this will help someone else.  This can be disabled in the Phone App Settings->Call alerts and ringtones->Notify during calls->Toggle off.  This is not a good solution for me though because you don’t get any notifications or alarms during phone calls.

0 Likes
Re: Call Waiting Tone when receiving text messages during a call
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Welcome to the Verizon Family, Fly75! Having your mobile device setup to best suit you is key to getting the most out of the device. Do not worry we are here to help with the text notifications during phone calls.

We appreciate all of the useful details that you provided to describe the issue. This is not a Verizon specific issue as the settings in the Call Alerts sections is the same across carriers. With that said, I still would like to make sure we cover each possible option to disable the text alert during calls for you. I would like to gather a few details to best assist. Which messaging app do you use? Can you confirm if your device OS and messaging application is updated to current versions?

GinaU_VZW

0 Likes