BOGO Scam
MPG666

In late December of 2018 I was highly unsatisfied with the level of service and connectivity I was receiving from AT&T. After over ten years, I felt it was time to change carriers. I went into my local Verizon Store In Bay Ridge Brooklyn (8524 5th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11209) to speak with someone about my options. Upon arrival, I was happy to see signs and posters advertising a buy one, get one free offer on the Samsung Galaxy S9. Ordinarily I wouldn't purchace a phone (let alone two) on the monthly installment plan, but $33.00 per month for two brand new phones was too good a deal to pass up. I talked to a salesperson who's name escapes me at the moment. She was polite and helpful. She sat me down and explained to me how we could get my bill down to roughly $85/mo after a couple of rebates. She did warn me that the bill would be significantly higher for a few months while a few things processed and settled, but the extra payment would be corrected through further rebate and or refund. After a few months of paying $150-$180 per month, something felt off. I figured it was a clerical error that would be easily rectified, so I called customer service. The man I spoke with informed me there was not a buy one get one free offer in that store for that phone at that time. I was absolutely perplexed. To me, the most prominent feature of the store, when I walked in, was the advertising of the BOGO offer. It is the single reason I decided on the Galaxy S9 from Verizon. The customer service rep I spoke with on the phone advised me to go back into the store and talk with the salesperson agan. When I did, she seemed as perplexd as me and told me she'd look into it and get back to me. I never heard back from her and a short time later I moved upstate. 
Recently, my wife went into our local Verizon store and spoje with somebody about the issue. In short, she was told nothing could be done about it untill our contract was up. 

I feel asthough I have been totally swindled into paying double the money I was promised. This is an unbelievably bad way to do business for any business let alone the company with the most wireless subscribers in the United States. For the extrta phone alone I have paid $396.00 I was assurerd I wouldn't pay, and am on the hook for another $396. 

Unless something is done about this immediately, I will be sending a copy of this letter to the Better Business Bureau and my State's Attourney General as well as filing an official complaint with both. I'm sure I won't be the first to do so. A cursory search of this very forum shows I am far from alone in this matter. It is absolutely reprehensible behavior and an unimaginably bad way to coduct business. Verizon is going to have to do a whole lot of making up for this in order for me to even consider signing another contract with them and refrain from spreading the word far and wide about their abbhorant business practices. 

I look forward to hearing back and receiving my refunds. 

Thank you,

MG

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: BOGO Scam
rempson
Contributor - Level 1

A year is an awfully long time to wait.  I do understand that you have inquired a couple of times in the past.  Do you have anything to back up your claim?

When I had a similar incident, I had a copy of my online chat and what the salesperson had told me what I would get for monthly discount.  After one month, I chatted with Verizon and continued to do so for a month.  I was told different things by different people.  I did file a complaint with BBB after being told I did not qualify for discount promised.  BBB contacted corporate Verizon, who contacted me.  Within 1 business day, the discount was posted to my account.

0 Likes
MPG666

I agree and know a year is a long time to wait, but things like having a 5 year-old, house hunting, ADD, trying to find a job, going into the Verizon store and calling multiple times kind of get in the way. After being told by person after person, "I can't help, try contacting ___." kind of gets demoralizing. I suppose my second mistake (deciding to go with Verizon being my first) was handling my transaction in person. If I have anything in writing, it's in a box somewhere waiting to be unpacked.  I just, like a fool, assumed a company that's worth $131bn would back up their promises and not gouge people for $33/mo. 

0 Likes
MPG666

Well, I said above, "Verizon is going to have to do a whole lot of making up for this and they definitely did. My money has been refunded for the extra device I was paying for and I could not be happier. It is nice to know someone at Verizon is listening to us when we complain. It took a little work, but, as they say, work pays off in the end. 

Thank you to whoever is listening to these grievances and making things right.

MG

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MPG666

I am glad to hear that we were able to make this right as we always strive to create a positive customer service experience for you. We will always be here for any future needs http://vz.to/2lGx5DN. Thank you for being a valued part of the Verizon family, have a great day.

EdwardL_VZW

0 Likes