phone calls from "0"
mnjclark
Enthusiast - Level 3

I use Family Base on my phones on my plan.  On my daughter's phone, she keeps getting phone calls from "0".  Durations like 15 minutes, 27 minutes, 11 minutes, etc.  I have it flagged as a contact that I watch and it shows up every couple days.   She swears no one is calling her.  I believe her, because some of the calls show as coming in at a time where her phone is restricted from receiving calls.  Additionally, when I just look at the call logs on the straight up Verizon site there is no record of these calls at all.

So, what's up?  Who is "0" and why do they keep calling my daughter?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: phone calls from "0"
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mnjclark, Let's look into this! At times the unbilled call records will show as '0' until the phone number is registered on our network. Are you able to see the same call times and phone numbers of the interactions that were previously shown with a '0'  once signed into your My Verizon account?

TanishaS1_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mnjclark
Enthusiast - Level 3

You lost me - I AM signed into my account - that's how I'm seeing the calls (through family base).  My daughter's phone is not new - it's been on the verizon system for well over 3 years now.

0 Likes
mnjclark
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let me describe the situation again..  So that I'm very clear.   I'm not looking at my daughter's actual phone, I'm looking online only.  First - I see the "0" calls in Family Base (your application).  I have flagged this "caller" in the past so it's very apparent and it emails me every time it happens.  These are phone calls that are happening - not texts.  She doesn't make many calls (she's 14) so these stand out as being very odd.     Then, when I look on my call log history by line (I think you call this My Verizon??) These phone calls do not show up at all.    So, that's what I'm wanting to know.  Why are these calls showing in family base, yet they don't show up in the actual call log?

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Does she have a basic phone or a smartphone?

0 Likes
mnjclark
Enthusiast - Level 3

basic phone.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

It sounds to me like they're data sessions. 3G phones such as hers technically 'dial into' the network for data. While the number is not 0 it is also not a valid phone number so it is likely that is how Family Base views the 'invalid number'. Perhaps her phone is backing up content such as contacts, music, messages, receiving messages, or does she use stuff on her phone such as Facebook or things on the browser?

0 Likes
mnjclark
Enthusiast - Level 3

All data is blocked on her phone.  I've had Verizon block data and I've blocked it on Family Base as well.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

That's good, it stops her from accessing data, and prevents you for being billed for it, but doesn't stop the phone from trying to connect to data. (Unsuccessfully of course). For example if the web browser on the phone was launched it would dial out to connect to data, and then an error message would occur on the screen. Or if her contacts are set to back up automatically it may continually keep trying to connect showing those longer sessions

0 Likes
amberf_vzw
Verizon Employee

mnjclark,

I know it is important to make sure that our kids aren't receiving calls that are unfamiliar.  This is a unique situation that I would like to take a deeper dive into.

I have sent you a follow request here in the forum. Please access https://community.verizonwireless.com/actions to accept my request and follow me https://community.verizonwireless.com/people/amberf_vzw back so you can send me a private message https://community.verizonwireless.com/docs/DOC-1613 and we can get started.

AmberF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes