I have an older Thinkpad
georgewhayduke
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an older Thinkpad X201 tablet with WWAN capability - it has a Qualcomm Gobi 2000 module installed inside as well as a Sim Card slot (no sim anymore) and was once configured with Verizon wireless circa 2012 or so (I have been told the Qualcomm unit most likely only works with Verizon). It seems like it's all set up and ready for a new sim card and Verizon account. My question is will my setup work with Verizon Pre-paid mobile internet?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I have an older Thinkpad
georgewhayduke
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I found the answer and the answer is YES, IT DOES WORK, BUT YOU BETTER GO DO IT AT YOUR NEAREST VERIZON STORE.

It took them at least 2 hours to figure it out, but they did figure it out after calling in Da Boss of the store. It wasn't that they weren't good salespeople and or don't know modern phone/tablet tech - they knew all that stuff. But my Ultralight Lenovo Thinkpad is *almost* obsolete. But it does have the Qualcomm Gobi 2000 embedded inside (i looked) which I read earlier is coded only for Verizon which is why I went to Verizon for mobile broadband service.

So after 2 hours and a Lenovo Update (which I figured out) - which by the way YOU MUST BE SURE YOUR THINKPAD OR WHATEVER DATED LENOVO YOU ARE USING HAS THE LATEST UPDATES/FIRMWARE/ETC. (that's key) we got it up and running.

Now we'll just see how the service is as I make my way across the country with Thinkpad in tow on my first month of pre-paid Verizon Mobile; I see others here are sometimes not so happy.....

View solution in original post

0 Likes
georgewhayduke
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I found the answer and the answer is YES, IT DOES WORK, BUT YOU BETTER GO DO IT AT YOUR NEAREST VERIZON STORE.

It took them at least 2 hours to figure it out, but they did figure it out after calling in Da Boss of the store. It wasn't that they weren't good salespeople and or don't know modern phone/tablet tech - they knew all that stuff. But my Ultralight Lenovo Thinkpad is *almost* obsolete. But it does have the Qualcomm Gobi 2000 embedded inside (i looked) which I read earlier is coded only for Verizon which is why I went to Verizon for mobile broadband service.

So after 2 hours and a Lenovo Update (which I figured out) - which by the way YOU MUST BE SURE YOUR THINKPAD OR WHATEVER DATED LENOVO YOU ARE USING HAS THE LATEST UPDATES/FIRMWARE/ETC. (that's key) we got it up and running.

Now we'll just see how the service is as I make my way across the country with Thinkpad in tow on my first month of pre-paid Verizon Mobile; I see others here are sometimes not so happy.....

0 Likes
georgewhayduke
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh, I almost forgot, the Qualcomm Gobi 2000 module is 3G only. So it's a little slower but will work just fine for checking email or looking up maps, etc.

0 Likes
georgewhayduke
Enthusiast - Level 2

and one more thing: no sim card is needed.

0 Likes