Phone app asks for carrier number
Phadeguy

Hey Everyone,

I have a Samsung S10, Android 10 latest official Verizon update.  I'm guessing that during a recent update, the standard phone app now always asks if I want to use the carrier number.  It didn't ask this before.  I can't find a setting to say, "always use carrier number."  How to I set the default phone app (version 11.0.40.13) to always use carrier number and not ask again?

Thanks and have a great day!

0 Likes
Re: Phone app asks for carrier number
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for taking the time to bring this concern to us, Phadeguy! When you reviewed the Settings of your device, were you looking under the Phone tab? Also, have you checked within the Phone application? MatthewI_VZW

0 Likes
Phadeguy

Hey Matthew,

Thank you for your reply!

I opened the standard "phone" app, click the three dots, and choose "settings".  There is nothing in the settings that would indicate something like, "Always ask for carrier number" or something similar.  The only options revolve around blocked numbers, ringtones, messages, wifi and video calling among other settings. 

Within the main global device settings, I could find nothing their either that would hint towards using carrier number.  There may be a setting somewhere, but I couldn't find it easily.  (I was hoping you guys would be able to point out this setting.)

Is there a better phone app to use than the pre-installed phone app that would not have this issue?

Thanks again!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the insights. We are concerned to learn you are having issues to change those settings. Do you recall if the issue started after a software update or download of a new application? Please review step by step to resolve common issues on your device model in the link below:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-s10-troubleshooting/#!/main/device/&SMG973UZK...

MariaV_VZW

0 Likes
Phadeguy

App and system updates are set up to happen in the background.  I am not sure if it was directly after an update, but the phone app worked as expected for a very long time and only recently asks for carrier number use.  I have not added any new phone-related apps or other apps recently.  

For the default out-of-box phone app, where is the setting to choose the default to use when placing a phone call?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Try going to Settings> Apps> Three vertical dots on upper-right side, and tap Default Apps. That will allow you to select your default apps.

Let us know if that works for you. BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes
Phadeguy

The standard out-of-box phone app is the default phone app.  

The issue occurs when using the standard out-of-box phone app.  

1. Open phone app.
  2. Select "Keypad".
  3. Dial a phone number.
  4. Tap the green "call" button.
  5. Receive pop-up prompt asking how I would like to place my call.
  6. Tap "Use carrier number".
  7. Phone call goes through.

I would like to have "use carrier number" to always be the answer and skip steps 5 and 6 listed above.  It is these two steps that are new and annoying.  How do I select a setting in the out-of-box phone app to always use carrier number like it was before?  Is there a better phone app I should install and try instead?

Thanks again and I hope to hear from you soon!  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Those details are very helpful, Phadeguy. In review of your previous messages, we see that this issue may have started after a software update. Our resources indicate that any post software update issues can be resolved by doing a factory reset. Please do a factory reset as per this link (https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-222932/) and test. Make sure to back up all your phone's content (contacts, pictures, videos, etc.) to the Verizon Cloud (https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-cloud-faqs/) or any Cloud service of your preference as the factory reset will delete everything from your phone. Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW

0 Likes
Phadeguy

Ok, so let me get this straight.  

1. The issue I’ve described is a known issue
  2. The issue is a result of a recent software update in either
    1. The operating system maintained by Verizon or
    2. The phone app maintained by Verizon
  3. There is no user-selectable system or app preference to modify the behavior
  4. There is and will be no system or app update to correct the behavior 
  5. Factory-resetting the device is a known workaround to possibly correct the behavior
  6. There are no correction alternatives other than a factory reset of the phone

Alternate remediation are ineffective: 

1. Clear app cache and data
  2. Uninstall / reinstall app
  3. Roll-back app to prior unbroken version
  4. Install alternative phone app

Is there a local machine (non-cloud) backup software for the device?  Are there alternate phone apps that I could use instead of the out-of-box default phone app?

Factory resetting the device seems very extreme.  Are you sure?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand your concern. Usually if there are problems with something after a software update. We recommend performing a factory reset, this usually resolves the issue. Do you happen to have your information backed up?

ChristianP_VZW

0 Likes