Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
How do you disable Android OTA System Updates?
IJG

Hi,

I just got a Samsung Galaxy S7 and I am getting prompted to install an update for Android security patches and stuff. I don't like to do these updates because in the past whenever I do an update for an Android phone everything starts to go wrong. I also heard from a friend who installed this same update that said they started having problems.

I went into Settings > Applications > Application Manager > More > Show System Apps > System Updates (The one with the Android Symbol and red spinning arrow). I can force stop the application and the icon in the status bar goes away but comes back in a second. I can't disable the status bar notification in the settings for notifications. Also under battery usage for this specific app it says it used 25% battery on this charge. If that is the case, this app must go because that is crazy if this one stupid system update app is using 1/4 of my battery. That explains why my battery is dead by 3:00.

If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do you disable Android OTA System Updates?
IJG

Here is a screenshot of what I found.

Screenshot_20160629-003708.png

0 Likes
Ann154
Super User
Super User

It would be best if you just installed the update.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Klue
Master

I have installed all three update to this phone without problems. I also checked the menu drill down your posted and my battery usage is 8%, probably because there are no updates available for my phone so I'm not getting notifications.  If you don't install the updates yourself then the update will eventually install itself.