Re: HTC One M8 - Marshmallow Sluggish Performance
Mario64
Enthusiast - Level 2

Someone had replied,is this happening on all devices,or just HTC One m8 phones.good thing I'm eligible for a new phone,cause I don't know how much longer I can use this phone.

0 Likes
KevinB2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

A few months after I bought the M8, I believe it was about October, 2014, there was a major upgrade pushed to my M8. Was that Lollipop? (How soon the memories fade!) Anyway, in addition to some cool new features, there were some performance issues, some apps more than others. Within a few weeks, a flood of app updates were made, and I believe also one or two Android updates, and things got better. That's what I'm hoping happens here. It wouldn't be unreasonable for Marshmallow to introduce some performance issues to many/most apps that would require some minor tweaks for those apps to return to peak performance. That's why I'm asking whether we should just be patient for a few more days/weeks, or if we should be alarmed that no one thinks there is a problem and this is the new normal.

I have a ton of apps. People who don't have many running in the background might not have the issues I have. Perhaps Marshmallow, or problems with a lot of apps not behaving efficiently with Marshmallow, has caused my system to be sluggish due to the CPU being too busy? But I would think if that were the case my battery would be draining fast, and this is not the case.

I hope someone knowledgeable from Verizon eventually responds.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Capecuddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I cured my problems first by disabling wireless and realizing it performed

great on 4G. I had to reboot my network router and then restart wireless

and all was right with my Marshmallow world.

Dan Martin

...from Gmail

0 Likes
ukpylot

I'm glad I'm not the only one. While there is a definite overall sluggishness, my biggest problem is that half the time when I turn the screen on, it takes 2-3s to come up to full brightness so I can see to unlock it.

I hope we can get a fix as I like this phone and I don't want to buy a new one just yet

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mario64, thanks for reaching out for help. I know it has to be uncomfortable dealing with those issues. Lets work on this. Please go to Settings > App manager and select ALL. Scroll down the list of applications and select “Android System Webview” then select Uninstall.

Then restart the phone and let us know if this helps out.
MarcusS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
KevinB2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

Marcus, is this suggestion only for Mario64, or is this the fix (or at least temporary workaround) for all HTC One M8 phones on Verizon running Marshmallow?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Nothing like a sluggish phone to get me frustrated Paul. We will be happy help you resolve your phone issues. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

RalphT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
KevinB2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's becoming clear that this isn't the way to get a phone problem resolved. It took 48 hours for ukpylot to even get a response, and if you two dialog back and forth, this could take a month. No one's even responded yet to any of my posts on this thread.

So should we call Verizon tech support and do this over the phone? I came here to this message board figuring the problems would be widespread and well-understood by now. Doesn't sound like anyone knows how to resolve the sluggish Marshmallow O/S problems on HTC One M8s yet.

MarcusS_VZW suggested something to try to Mario64 several messages ago. Is that something I should try as well?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for the delay, KevinB2014. These community forums are intended to be more of a peer-to-peer forum than immediate assistance from Customer Service. The suggestion Marcus made could absolutely be something that you or anyone else that comes to this forum for assistance on this same issue can benefit from.

After any big update, such as moving to Lollipop or to Marshmallow, occurs certain parts of the system memory gets altered. Application memory needs time to optimize and can cause the device to temporarily use more battery. On average it'll take about 3 days for new software to optimize its performance and battery life to normalize. If it's taking longer, many times this is caused by 3rd party application updates being needed as well.

Since some of your downloaded applications may not be optimized for Lollipop (developers don't always update their applications immediately to support new versions) this may also result in higher than normal battery drain until the application is updated or removed too. Try going into the Play Store > My Apps and making sure all the applications have received their updates recently. Additionally, try going to Settings > Manage Apps and clearing the cache (tap the app, then tap Clear Cache) on some of your more frequently used apps, like Facebook.

JenniferH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KevinB2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your response, Jennifer.

I've checked the Play Store several times to ensure that my apps are getting all updates, and they are.

I'll try clearing some caches.

I didn't know about the memory optimization you described. I don't know how that works, but I'll trust that it's had plenty of time to occur by now.

Hopefully the developers of the apps I have on my phone will continue to update for Marshmallow.

I'm really curious if the battery saving features of Marshmallow are causing the system to fall so deeply asleep during idle time that they are responsible for much of the lag people are having at times. I haven't yet put my finger on what the conditions are that make for the most lag. Sometimes I click an app and 5-10 seconds or more go by with nothing happening. Yet other times I can open an app in a split second. So who knows.

Thanks for the reply. Other than clearing cache on a few apps, I'll probably just wait and hope that the appropriate development teams eventually figure this all out. If it comes down to one or two offending apps, then I can make a decision to uninstall them and find that same functionality in alternative apps. Right now it's too prevalent for me to know where the problems are.

0 Likes