HTC One M8 - Marshmallow Sluggish Performance
mlamx1634
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have noticed, since my M8 was update to Marshmallow, that its sluggish (slight delay most functions) when opening apps, refreshing and receiving emails, (office365 and Gmail). I have factory rest the phone and still see this. The phone is working fine, other then the sluggish performance. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HTC One M8 - Marshmallow Sluggish Performance
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize for the delay, KevinB2014. These community forums are intended to be more of a peer-to-peer forum than immediate assistance from Customer Service. The suggestion Marcus made could absolutely be something that you or anyone else that comes to this forum for assistance on this same issue can benefit from.

After any big update, such as moving to Lollipop or to Marshmallow, occurs certain parts of the system memory gets altered. Application memory needs time to optimize and can cause the device to temporarily use more battery. On average it'll take about 3 days for new software to optimize its performance and battery life to normalize. If it's taking longer, many times this is caused by 3rd party application updates being needed as well.

Since some of your downloaded applications may not be optimized for Lollipop (developers don't always update their applications immediately to support new versions) this may also result in higher than normal battery drain until the application is updated or removed too. Try going into the Play Store > My Apps and making sure all the applications have received their updates recently. Additionally, try going to Settings > Manage Apps and clearing the cache (tap the app, then tap Clear Cache) on some of your more frequently used apps, like Facebook.

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Casieeisac
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I am as well. I posted about it last night. It's very frustrating bc until now I was happy with phone's functioning.

Mario64
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, i am having the same issue, it has become very annoying

Mario64
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also have to keep restarting phone, for the phone to function, then after 15 min or so, it starts all over again

slb5146
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just upgraded to Marshmallow.  I use my HTC M8 with my TriCaster 8000 to stream our church services.  It works great when I use the HTC as a Hot Spot but I need to tether the HTC to my Asus RT-AC3200 Router.  The tether sets up fine and works with my Asus Router but the upload speed goes from 2 mbps as a Hot Spot to 200-300 kbps when tethered. I experience the same type response with the download speed.  Can anyone help?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mlamx1634, This is not the direction we want after an update. When you did the Factory Reset, did you disable the "Automatic restore" option (testing without apps coming right back)? Could you test the phone in Safe Mode? http://spr.ly/6581B5VzV
JoelR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
slb5146
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tested the HTC M8 in safe mode today.  I tethered it to my Asus RT-AC3200 Router.

My HTC had 3 bars(-99 dBm) of 4G signal strength.

I tested the upload speed with testmy.net and I saw the following results:

Test #1 474 Kbps

Test #2 155 Kbps

Test #3 861 Kbps

Test #4 1.4 Mbps

Test #5 1.2 Mbps

Test #5 1.5 Mbps

II then Restarted my HTC in Normal Mode and tethered it to my Asus Router with the following results:

Test #1 1.7 Mbps

Test #2 1.7 Mbps

Test #3 1.4 Mbps

Test #4 406 Kbps

Test #5 1.4 Mbps

Test #6 1.7 Mbps

At this point I decided to try Live Streaming a 700 Kbps video.  It worked and kept working for an hour.  I am satisfied that I'll be able to stream this Sunday.

Thank you for you reply.

0 Likes
Capecuddy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would call it a performance disaster. Everything takes 10 seconds to inititiate action. I want my Lollipop back. This upgrade is typical verizon bloatware.....no useful new features and ridiculously slow response.

KevinB2014
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon, is there help on the way? I loved my HTC One M8 before the Marshmallow upgrade. Now it is so sluggish I feel like I regressed 5 years. I realize you may not have a solution yet, but can you at least keep us updated on what is going on? Is Marshmallow a bust on all devices, or just HTC One M8s?

slb5146
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure why others are having a problem but since I have been tethering my M8 with my Asus Router for a couple weeks successfully I am satisfied with Marshmallow.  I have been able to stream our church services for 3 hours at 700 kbps for the past two weeks with my TriCaster 8000 connected to my Asus Router.

I have not noticed anything about my M8 or my wife's as being sluggish.  We both use them a lot everyday and we are satisfied.

0 Likes