30KB MMS Size Limit on RECEIVE only
xPWn3Rx

Hi all - I have a problem with my device that appears to need to be fixed by Verizon. The device can send and received normal MMS with GIFs, Videos, Pictures, but ANYTHING that is sent to me, GIF, Video, picture is converted to a jpg at 30kb max. This stops GIF animations, videos don't work, and pictures with detail are so degraded, you can't even tell what you are supposed to be looking at.

I am not new to Android, and have found that I can get this to work with the Verizon Messages+ app, and everything works normally. However, that application crashes regularly and consumed 31% of the battery used on my device yesterday with minimal usage.

I suspect this may be a problem with something on Verizons side because I have tried Google Messenger, Textra, Chomp, Facebook Messenger, and none of them can receive more than 30kb media. I have tried recompiling the stock messenger app on the phone using the useragent that Messages+ uses, as well as useragents from the Pixel phones. None of that has helped.

The device in question is a Xiaomi Mi Mix 3. Do not tell me to buy another device or try to sell me one. This is the device I want, and everything works except for receiving MMS, which is almost certainly being hampered by Verizon. There are dozens of other people using this device on Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T and other carriers that do not have this problem using the stock app or others.

I want Verizon to change whatever needs to be modified to stop this from happening on their side.

0 Likes
Re: 30KB MMS Size Limit on RECEIVE only
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having a good working phone and being able to enjoy all the features is important. I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your MMS messages and the Message+ app. battery usage. To clarify, are you having problems receiving MMS when using the Message+ app? Have you been able to send/receive MMS messages with the same phone in the past? Is this affecting all incoming MMS or specific contacts? Share details. We are here to help.

EvelynR_VZW

0 Likes
xPWn3Rx

Hi I can receive MMS regardless of what app is the default MMS app. Messages+ receives full size uncompressed images. 

All of the other 3rd party apps, including the app that comes with stock android receive only 30kb compressed jpg images regardless of what content is sent.

The MMS has worked since adding APN settings for Verizon but at reduced quality (30kb for everything). This problem affects all contacts sending to me, regardless of source device (iPhone, other Android device) or other carriers (Sprint, T-Mobile).

I have confirmed the APN settings are correct by comparing to a Pixel XL, and Pixel 2 XL. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

xPWn3Rx, Thank you for providing those additional details. Based on the information provided this would be a compatibility issue between our network and the device you're trying to use. If this were coming from a restriction through the network Message+ would not work either. We cannot guarantee all services for phones that are not specifically Verizon phones. I hope this helps. 

MelissaP_VZW

0 Likes
Superiorcoffee

Hi Verizon,

I too have the exact same problem.  Maybe this is a compatibility issue that Verizon could look at making compatible?   Or maybe we just need to switch carriers??   

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want to help and don't want to lose you as a customer. Please tell us, what model is your device? What is the format you are using to send these messages?

MariaV_VZW

0 Likes
xPWn3Rx

We are both using Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 devices it seems. Based on my testing, it seems that Verizons MMS servlet is not accepting what ever this phone is sending as it's UAprofile information at login.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@Superiorcoffee wrote:

Hi Verizon,

I too have the exact same problem.  Maybe this is a compatibility issue that Verizon could look at making compatible?   Or maybe we just need to switch carriers??   

It's not Verizon phone and not very popular so I doubt Verion will do anything. So maybe people with this phone should switch carriers. When you don't get a Verizon branded phone you're not going to have the best results. Apple, Google and Samsung would be the exceptions. That's just the facts.

0 Likes
abwerle

I have an LG G7 and have the same problem as described above. Are you telling me the LG G7 is incompatible? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

abwerle, 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with receiving MMS! We're here to help. When did you begin having trouble with MMS on your LG G7? Has it worked properly in the past? Do you find that MMS messages come through clearly when using Verizon Messages+ also? 

MichelleH_VZW

0 Likes