spoofed local number robocalls
DukeHazzard
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been getting a ridiculous amount of calls from spoofed numbers with the same area code and prefix of my phone.  About half of my incoming call volume are these robocalls.  The prefix is exclusive to Verizon Wireless customers in my area so is there something Verizon can do about it?  Because I a lot of people I know have this same prefix for their Verizon phone I can't categorically block it.  I hate ignoring all unknown numbers from my own exchange because I have missed legitimate calls but at this level (5 fake calls already today) I finally had to shut the ringer off.  If anyone has any other suggestions I am listening. 

Labels (1)
Re: spoofed local number robocalls
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Until recently no they could not. The FCC recently changed a rule that will allow carriers to block unassigned numbers. Of course if a robocaller is spoofing a number that is actually in use then there is nothing Verizon can do about that.

0 Likes
DukeHazzard
Enthusiast - Level 3

A good point about the FCC.  In this case the numbers are (or at least appear to be) unassigned; when I dial them back I only get a busy signal. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

DukeHazzard, we completely understand how it feels to receive unwanted calls on your device. We always want to do everything in our power to assist our customers and ensure that they’re able to enjoy their wireless service without any hassle. There’s a few things that we’d like to review with you to better assist.

Spoofing occurs when someone is deliberately falsifying their number. The number you’re seeing on your caller ID may not be the actual phone number the call is coming from. If you’re receiving these types of calls, we definitely recommend having this reported to the FCC for further handling. You can learn more about this at https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/spoofing-and-caller-id

A great way to prevent these types of calls from happening in the first place is to ensure that your number is safe and secure. You’d never want to provide your phone number to an untrusted source or site. We’d like to suggest making sure that your number is listed on the Do Not Call Registry (https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx) to help avoid any additional unwanted calls as well.

Once you’ve made sure these measures are put in to place and if you find that you’re still receiving unwanted calls from these numbers, we’d like to suggest blocking the number to avoid any inconvenience and in extreme measures, you may want to consider changing your phone number. Here’s how you can accomplish these two items: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-unblock-services-faqs/#how-to-block and https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/change-mobile-number-faqs/

Additionally, if you can confirm the make/model of your device, we’d be happy to review other built-in options that may be available to assist with call blocking right from your device.

SamanthaT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
DukeHazzard
Enthusiast - Level 3

[removed]

My number has been listed on the Do Not Call registry nearly as long as the registry has existed.  I reported many of the calls on the FCC website but I simply don't have time to fill out the form for all of them.  Because they are "spoofed", it's not helping anyway.

My number is "safe and secure", thank you very much.  These are auto-dialed, random calls.  Everyone in my area with a Verizon phone gets them; I suspect this is true everywhere else as well.  Because the number is different each time blocking the numbers would be useless.  I would eventually have to block every unused number in the xxx-813-xxxx exchange.  Why can't Verizon categorically block unused numbers?

If I have to change the phone number that I've had for more than a decade, the number that friends, family, customers and suppliers know to contact my with, I will be changing providers at the same time.

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

boringusername
Master - Level 1

DukeHazzard wrote:

Why can't Verizon categorically block unused numbers?

The FCC only recently gave carriers permission to do this. I'm sure it takes time to implement this.

Latest FCC Action

On Nov. 16, 2017, the FCC adopted new rules to allow voice service providers to proactively block certain types of robocalls that are likely to be fraudulent because they come from certain types of phone numbers, including those that do not or cannot make outgoing calls. For example, perpetrators have used IRS phone numbers that don't dial out to impersonate the tax agency, informing the people who answer that they are calling to collect money owed to the U.S. government. Such calls appear to be legitimate to those who receive them and can result in fraud or identity theft. Service providers now can block such calls, as well as calls from invalid numbers, like those with area codes that don't exist, from numbers that have not been assigned to a provider, and from numbers allocated to a provider but not currently in use.

Stop Unwanted Calls and Texts | Federal Communications Commission

dwt12777

Add my vote to getting some attention paid to this problem at the carrier level.  It seems like lately I get two to five of these calls a day.  But blocking them does no good, because they use different numbers every time.  If I do answer them, no one says anything.  However, within a couple minutes, I invariably then receive a second call from a different number trying to sell me something or phish information.  It's as if the first call is just being used to see if someone will answer.  If yes, the second call gets generated.

If the carrier has the ability to detect and stop this activity - they need to do it now.  If this gets to the point where I need to change phone numbers as the support person previously suggested, I will change carriers at the same time.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

If I get a call from a number I don't recognize, I don't say anything for 3-5 seconds.  Generally, if it is a 'robocall' it hangs up if there is no response.  If you answer it with a voice immediately, that might be triggering it to continue and mark your number as a good one to use again.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
jaysteag
Enthusiast - Level 1

Me too! I get around 3 calls/day from a different spoofed number every time. There has to be a way for Verizon to identify a call coming from a spoofed number and a way to not allow it. I’m thinking of switching to AT&T over this issue.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

You might want to check with friends that have AT&T or visit AT&T forums to see how or if they know how to handle these types of calls.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes