Upgrading from iPhone 6 to Samsung Note10; my phone number has changed
Vercingetorix

I just ordered a new Samsung phone through the mail to replace my dying iPhone 6. The phone arrived today and I have been trying to set it up. This is the first time I have gotten a new phone by mail instead of at a physical store, so I might not be clear on some of the details. 

While activating, I noticed that the new phone has a completely different phone number. How can I deactivate my old iPhone 6 and transfer its number to the new phone? Also, of course, I would like to continue with my same plan but using this new phone instead of the old one.

Thanks,

Gerry

0 Likes
Re: Upgrading from iPhone 6 to Samsung Note10; my phone number has changed
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you order the phone as an upgrade to your current line? 

You should be able to activate the new phone using the SIM card from the iPhone. I believe both phone models use the nano SIM card. You should verify the SIM cards are the same size before moving the active SIM card to the new phone. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Vercingetorix

Ann,

Thanks for your reply. I intended this phone to be a replacement for the older one, and I ordered it via my existing account. So, I assumed I could keep the same phone number as before. 

Is the phone number tied to the SIM card? I guess I didn't realize that.

I have also been having some trouble disabling 'find my iPhone', which I have read can sometimes cause problems with activation. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, the phone number is tied to the SIM card. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, being on top of your new Samsung is vital, especially if you are having issues activating it with your number. Did you purchase it as a new line? Did you order it with a different number on your account (if you have multiple lines)? Did you use a different SIM to set it up/program it (other than the one provided)?

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes