Is there any other way to get a new device without having to pay the upgrade fee?
JMD315
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, so I recently switched to verizon and I was planning on using my phone from my old carrier, so I ordered a sim card and then tried to have the old carrier (boost mobile) unlock the phone to switch it over to verizon.  But they refused to unlock it because apparently their policy is that you need to have the phone with them for at least a year and I've only had it for 7 months.  Well now I need to order a  phone for the plan here but the only option I can see is to "upgrade" to get a new device and that way is going to charge me the $20 upgrade fee.  But I don't want to pay that since it's not really an upgrade.  So is there any other way to get a new device w/o having to pay the upgrade fee, see as it's not technically an upgrade?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Old carrier won't unlock
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Purchase a new phone from a third party retailer. Either used or new. Swappa, eBay, Best Buy (full retail price only), Google, Motorola or Apple are retailers that come to mind.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Purchase a new phone from a third party retailer. Either used or new. Swappa, eBay, Best Buy (full retail price only), Google, Motorola or Apple are retailers that come to mind.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Technically, any new phone purchase on an already active account is considered an upgrade.  To avoid $20 upgrade you need to buy used outside or get a SIM free version of a new phone from a manufacturer.  

0 Likes
Re: Is there any other way to get a new device without having to pay the upgrade fee?
harlonr
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't even understand the concept of Verizon charging me a equipment upgrade fee. Why should I pay Verizon for providing me exactly the same services regardless of the equipment I am using? This sound like a marketing genius's idea of a way to mess the customer and get some more money for absolutely no cost whatever.

Re: Is there any other way to get a new device without having to pay the upgrade fee?
KH-Michael
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes