Anyone else having trouble getting a discount on a new phone?
luckylady513248
Enthusiast - Level 1

There are three lines on my account. All three lines are eligible for phone upgrades. Yesterday, all three of us went to a Verizon store to get new phones. We were shocked to learn they could not offer us any deals or discounts. They suggested we go online.

Today, I went online and found nothing that doesn't require a new line activation. I then called customer service. After almost two hours on the phone with multiple reps, I learned there is nothing Verizon can do for any of our lines.

One rep told me that Verizon is interested in getting new customers but not interested in any of their loyal customers. Another rep told me I should call back each day looking for discounts. Several reps said they couldn't approve anything and it was my fault for not checking my emails for deals. The final rep said there was nothing at all. When I mentioned to this final rep that Sprint could offer me a new phone with more benefits and bonuses for less money than Verizon, that rep told me there was nothing he could do and have a good time at Sprint. He then said to go to Sprint.

The last time we upgraded, they offered us all discounts on phones and gave us a bonus on our data. This time no one seems to be able to offer us anything to keep us loyal to Verizon. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Re: Anyone else having trouble getting a discount on a new phone?
mama23dogs
Legend

Why is this a surprise? 

Offering a discount or a free phone for a new customer Who brings new service to a carriers is SOP.   Carriers do not offer deals to save us money. Deals are to increase business by adding new service and stealing customers from other carriers in order to make a profit off of us.   

0 Likes
dkasl75
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yep, I absolutely agree about this issue!!  I, too, have been a long time(20+ year)customer and always remembered getting perks for my loyalty. It as nice getting or at least given the option to a new phone every 2 yrs for free. I was told that those deals are no longer because they were 2-yr contracts at which they no longer offer. Hmm, so I guess its just a coincidence that when purchasing a new phone now I am given the option to pay it off monthly for 2 yrs. The rep was getting quite impatient or plainly just not nice with me because I kept referring my account as being contracted. She continued to state and repeat that there is NO contracts and its not even mentioned on the website anymore. Irregardless not only has Verizon been disappointing with this ignorance, a bigger question is---what the heck is going with customer service??? I absolutely hate having to contact anyone whether it be by messenger on the website or the absolute worst by phone. Even walking into a store in dang near pointless because in order to activate OR troubleshoot some issues the employee picks up a phone and calls Verizon customer services and waits to speak with a random rep...omg really??

Just to enlighten what i mean...My first experience was with a older gal that was cheerful and pleasant. And most recently had been promoted as she gladly informed me 1 hr in to the 2 hr troubleshooting conversation. To this day I question who hands out these promotions and how that's possible when she absolutely failed the basics on tech terminology!! For instance she referred the GB or gigabyte on a phone as being the gigaband. I corrected her as i maybe thought she meant GHz or gigahertz. Shockingly, nope, she went into this 'gigaband(s)' technology that somewhat described the 32GB on my phone, but also had connecting properties implemented somehow. Yeah I couldn't believe what I had anxiously waited on hold (at least 20 min) to speak with. I seriously couldn't help but laugh so at this point I was making a game out of it and portrayed the clueless customer. It was disgustingly hilarious!!

I wish I could report that my first experience with Verizon CS was just an unfortunate mishap...but i honestly can't. It shouldn't be a chore or a dreadful event when dealing with a company of this magnitude. I used to speak highly about Verizon and recommend them with zero thoughts of why comparing them to other providers. But, sadly after I pay off my non-contract phone of 2 yrs I will be saying good-bye...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your over 20 years with us is nothing short of amazing, dkasl75. I know how important it is to get the best deal possible and it is disheartening to hear about the experience that you had earlier. That's not what we want or expect for you. I'm happy to lift up feedback and address any outstanding concerns. Please check the Private Note we sent, so we can best help.

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@dkasl75 wrote:

Yep, I absolutely agree about this issue!!  I, too, have been a long time(20+ year)customer and always remembered getting perks for my loyalty. It as nice getting or at least given the option to a new phone every 2 yrs for free. 

Those were not perks from loyalty, anyone could get that when it was time to upgrade.   And those phones were never free.  The cost of the phone was recovered in your monthly line fee.    That’s why there was a two-year contract with an early termination fee. So that the carrier could recover the cost of the phone if you quit early. 

In 2015 the cost of service was discounted and separated from the cost of phones. That meant people who kept their phones longer, paid for their phones out right, or chose lower cost phones we’re not paying for those who had to have the brand new expensive iPhone every year.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We truly value you as part of the Verizon family and would never want to see you go, luckylady513248. As a consumer myself, I can understand wanting to get the best promotion on a new device. We'd like to apologize for your experience while trying to get a new device. We do offer many discounts that are available to existing and new customers. Some promotions may have requirements to take advantage of the promotion. To clear up some confusion, all cellular providers will have promotions to bring in new lines of service. This is in no way unique to Verizon Wireless. This has become and industry standard and doesn't mean that we value your business any less. We do run promotions for upgrading as well as trade in options or our Trade-In Program. Let's look into some promotions. What devices were you interested in? Do you have any devices you would be trading in? 

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
kh_jenn

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes