Moto Z2 Play Oreo Update?
BRIHUN63

So you have a Moto Z2 Play....Still waiting patiently for Oreo like I am?  We  ll, continue to wait, unless you believe the lies like I have over the last 2 months.  I order a new phone for my daughter (she got lucky and her phone already has Oreo) and in talking with the rep, she said that one of the techs told her that Oreo was going to be released in a couple of days. (This was towards the end of June).  So I wait, check the "About Phone", "System Updates", "Check for Updates" DAILY, and to date, nothing, Zilch, zip, nada.  So I get into Verizon's Chat one night, and got promises galore from that rep.  She was going to send me texts and check in frequently to give me updates....NOTHING!

For shame, Verizon....shame on you!  I got more feedback from Motorola in 2 days than you've given me in 2 months.  If it's a bug issue, let customers know!  If it's something else, say so!  I'm sure that there are plenty of customers like me who pay large sums of money to your corporation via new phones, data, accessories, etc., who never complain at all, even if there's a problem.

This is my problem, the LIES!  Don't tell somebody something unless you can either back it up with facts, or with the ability to produce! 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Moto Z2 Play Oreo Update?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is Motorola's responsibility to write the update and get it tested and approved by VZW and the other partners before it can be released to the active devices.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
oscarh
Enthusiast - Level 3

So Moto is still waiting on VZW to approve the update .  Thank you for confirming where the holdup is.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It doesn't necessarily have to be Verizon Wireless not having approved the update. The Bluetooth and Wi-Fi radio manufacturers have a part to play. The FCC might be involved. It may not have even reach the Verizon Wireless level of approvals yet.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
oscarh
Enthusiast - Level 3

yep, that must be why the Oreo update has gone out to unlocked Moto Z phones - BT/WiFi/FCC.  Guess everyone is waiting on the update then, not just VZW customers.  thank you!

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The build of the OS is different on the unlocked models versus any of the carrier variants.

0 Likes
oscarh
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for confirming that Motorola is waiting for VZW to "validate" the extra, unnecessary apps they load on their phones.  BTW - my z2 play security level is April 2018.  Guess we'll get up to date on security patches sometime next year?

Figarojones
Enthusiast - Level 1

In all honesty, I think they just decided to ignore the issue and hope it goes away. They updated the force in February or March (I believe), which was running THE EXACT SAME OS. If they had a plan, they'd have announced something by now. Sure, it doesn't make any sense, but why should that stop them?

EDDYHJR71
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you go to Motorola's website, it now says that the Verizon Moto Z2 Play phones will now be upgraded to Android 9 (Pie), yet we still haven't been upgraded to 8 (Oreo) yet.  Not sure what that means, other than maybe we'll skip 8 and get upgraded straight to 9?

oscarh
Enthusiast - Level 3

apparently VZW is of the opinion that a> the "current" OS version of this phone should be N-1, and b> the security patch level is just fine at N months - 4 (the security update level on my Z2 Play is April.)  So, yeah, when Pie is widespread (including from Moto), the Z2 Play will then receive the Oreo update - and receive Pie when the next OS version is widespread.