How do I transfer documents?
USAF_MC

I want to move documents from my old Droid Razr, to my new Droid Maxx.  Some are Text files for an app called, "AK Notepad".  Some are Excel spreadsheets.

I connected the old phone to the PC, and moved files from Razr-to-PC-to-Maxx.  The maker of the new note pad app tells me to copy files into a folder called NotepadBackup.  So I made that folder, but drag/drop and copy/paste don't actually move any files.  What am I doing wrong?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: How do I transfer documents?
Not applicable

I am going to assume that the file already exists in the app you already installed. If you connect to the computer then under file options select view all hidden files and folders and then look at the device you will see it there.

another way is to download the Astro File Viewer Browser free from the Google Play Store, transfer them that way as well.

But the direct connection to the PC has always been the easiest way to do it.

Good Luck

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I loved AK Notepad.  Did you export the files as .csv files?

0 Likes
USAF_MC

The files are labeled (on the PC) as Text documents.  I do see the files when I use the PC file manager, and look in the "XT1080" folder.  But when I go to the device, it can't find them.

Since I made the files with the application called, "AK Notepad" (produced by catch.com) and the new application didn't have the same name, I also searched the App Store for catch.com.  It came up with Notepad (not AK Notepad).  I installed that application, too, but using that application I can't find my notes, either.

I tried making two new test notes, and searched for them on the device by using the file manager on the PC.  Couldn't find them.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

AK Notepad is no longer available; went by the wayside almost a year ago.  That's why I asked if you'd exported those files as .csv files; if I remember correctly (I haven't used AK Notepad since it went defunct last spring), moving text files to a different app didn't work ... the .csv file was needed along with another file (the extension escapes me) so that they were readable in Excel or as an html document.  My files were so short that it ended up being easier/quicker to just retype them in a new app.

0 Likes
Not applicable
Filename extension.xls, (.xlsx, .xlsm, .xlsb - Excel 2007)
Internet media typeapplication/vnd.ms-excel

Excel can read CSV, DBF, SYLK, DIF, and other legacy formats.

Good Luck

(Excerpt from Wikipedia)

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not a matter of what extensions Excel can read, it's how the AK Notepad files are saved.  If exported as csv files, Excel should be able to import them, but there's another file saved with AK Notepad files when exported/backed up that is required for the files to be readable, otherwise they are garbage.  I learned that the hard way the first time I switched phones while using AK Notepad.

0 Likes