Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 3,889 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
International travel with Apple Watch
BLOOBIRDIE
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will be traveling to Germany with both my iPhone 7 and my Series 3 Apple Watch (which has a cellular plan). While I know that Travel Pass will charge me $10/day when I use my phone, will I incur another charge for my Apple Watch when texts or calls ring through? I definitely don't want to pay $10/day for the convenience of reading my texts on my watch. I know that I can put the watch in airplane mode, but am curious as to how Verizon handles this.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
Re: International travel with Apple Watch
deloused
Master - Level 3

No, there wouldn't be any additional charges internationally with the watch-

Will NumberShare still work with my devices if I'm traveling internationally?

No, NumberShare won't work when you're traveling internationally, but the host device will continue to work. Visit our Trip Planner to determine if your phone will work in a specific country and get more information about coverage and pricing options.

Currently, the extension device only works on the shared number if it's connected to the Verizon Wireless network or paired with the host device via Bluetooth.

For more information about international travel, visit the International Travel FAQs.

NumberShare FAQs | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BLOOBIRDIE, this is a very good question! If you're sharing a line with your Apple Watch, with your current device that has the Travel Pass then you will still receive Travel Pass charges for this device. However, if this watch has a line on its own it will incur pay as you go rates, this would be if you do not get an international plan for this device and use it internationally.

CecileC_VZW

0 Likes
BzyTchr
Enthusiast - Level 1

If I put my Apple watch on Airplane Mode, will that prevent any charges being incurred by my watch?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BzyTchr-

That is a good question! Airplane Mode will disable your roaming access to voice, messaging and data which will prevent your line from incurring international charges abroad.

-Angie

0 Likes
BzyTchr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Or can I just turn off Cellular for all apps for the watch and force it to tag along with my phone, which has the Global Plan? Help please! We have two phones and two watches going to Europe. Thanks!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BzyTchr, Number Share won't work with your watches when you're traveling internationally.
Currently, the connected device only works on the shared number when it's connected to the Verizon wireless network within the United states or paired with the host device through Bluetooth. https://www.verizon.com/support/numbershare-faqs/

-Tanisha

0 Likes
conchita45150

Would it be better to add an international plan vs. travel pass so i can use both my iphone and apple watch (which is currently on number share)? 

0 Likes
conchita45150

Traveling to Italy next month for 10 days with my iphone and apple watch series 5.

Would it be better to temporarily add the international plan vs. travelpass so that both my iphone and apple watch work in Italy? I would like to keep full functionality on my watch (texting etc) but dont need calling functionality.

0 Likes
JQuack79
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm pretty slow with understanding what's being asked/answered here, so I'll spell out my question this way: I have an iPhone 14 Pro and an Apple Watch Series 8, with a cellular plan. I just purchased an e-SIM for international travel for less than $25, so I can use data when I go to Europe this week but I don't get gouged by the $10/day international travel plan (for context, I'll be gone 10 days, so that's $100 I'd pay to Verizon vs. the $25 for the e-SIM). My question is: My watch has its own cellular number, so how can I use the watch in Europe WITHOUT having to pay the $10/day to Verizon? Do I just keep the watch on airplane mode the entire time and keep it connected to my phone via Bluetooth?