eSIM transfer to iPhone 11
OceanSurf
Enthusiast - Level 3

What will the process be to go from an iPhone XS using the eSIM to a new iPhone 11 using the eSIM?

With a physical SIM, you could just take it out of the old phone and put it in the new one. Obviously, it won't be possible with the eSIM to do that. Does Verizon have a procedure in place for this since the new iPhones are coming or will this be another learning curve situation like when the eSIM functionality was added to Verizon for the iPhone XR/XS/Max last year?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: eSIM transfer to iPhone 11
JUSTWILL312
Enthusiast - Level 1

All the QR codes are the same.

If you are an active Verizon user, make sure your current phone's IMEI is completely removed from your account, deleted!

They will then have to add the new one into your account, and then you can use that QR code.

So here's the exact process that I had to go through:

I originally had iPhone XS that is activated with ESIM (that was a whole other nightmare, last year).

I bought the iPhone 11 Pro unlocked from Apple and I brought it to the Verizon store immediately and told the person that approached me that I wanted to transfer my service from iPhone XS to iPhone 11 Pro.

The person gave a slight groan when I told him that the current service was ESIM - I just didn't want him to go thinking this was going to be easy like switching SIM card 😄

Anyway, he first thought it was going to be as simple as switching the IMEI numbers in my account. Of course, that didn't work and nothing worked, even turning off celular signal and rebooting the phone. He had just given up and had told me to get in touch with 611 because he couldn't do it.

But, to make matters worse, at this point, my iPhone XS also wasn't working. Naturally, I told him I wasn't leaving without a working phone and that he should restore my service on the iPhone XS.

This is when he came up with a plan to just remove my IMEI number completely from my account. Once that was completed, he came up with another idea to just try adding the new iPhone Pro 11's IMEI, instead. And voilla! That worked.

So he recapped that he needed to remove the original IMEI completely and add the new IMEI into my account.

And that's how I got mine transferred.

While this was going on, someone came in and talked to one of the other rep about switching his service to ESIM because he was going overseas and that he wanted to use the sim tray for while he was overseas. Instead of helping, the rep said that that couldn't be done and tried to sell him on the travel plan. SMH!

Moral of that last one is, there are a lot of lazy reps working at Verizon and that you really need to know how to talk to them.

View solution in original post

Hockey101
Enthusiast - Level 1

I ordered a new iPhone 11 to replace my XR and was wondering the same thing. I'm guessing it will be a call into Verizon and 4 different reps before we get someone that can actually help do the transfer. Smiley Frustrated

0 Likes
jayaredad
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think you are right.  I'm on my 3rd call today, attempting to get this done.  I just want to combine one of the numbers that's on my account to have two numbers on my new iPhone 11 Pro.  The rep I just spoke to said it can't be done because both phones must be iPhones?  That doesn't make sense to me.  So she's transferring me to tier two.  The rep(s) I spoke to today was saying it was an Apple issue...  I just want to stop carrying two phones.  It's the only reason I bought the new Pro.  Ugh! 

tubngo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I called earlier and spent about an hour on the phone, still no resolution but a ticket was created... Not sure when I'll be contacted to fix this issue. 😕

0 Likes
OceanSurf
Enthusiast - Level 3

I waited on hold for 40 minutes and got a good rep. It took a few attempts, but she was able to get things set up properly and the new phone has its eSIM active. I think it really is hit or miss on whether reps know what's going on. Why they don't have an automated process or simple online migration for this is beyond me. 

tubngo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Lucky you, I'll try again tomorrow. Did they do anything special to get it working for you?

0 Likes
OceanSurf
Enthusiast - Level 3

No. They need to enter the eSIM imei and then send you a QR code to scan on the new phone. 

0 Likes
JUSTWILL312
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just did this at a Verizon store. Once the rep knows what to do, it's pretty simple. 

Basically, they first need to remove the old iPhone completely from the account.
Once that's done, the rep has to add the new phone (IMEI) and generates the new QR code. 
Then, you go through the motion on the new phone on adding a a new service and scan the QR code. 

Xicix122

you are connected with esim on iphone 11?

0 Likes
OceanSurf
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes. I am connected to Verizon via the eSIM in the iPhone 11 Pro Max right now.

0 Likes