Why can't I send pictures to non iPhone users?
JRealDeal215
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just recently received iPhone 7plus. I text non iPhone users fine. I use wifi a lot but i have no problem sending pics through wifi to people who have iPhones but my non iPhone contacts i have problems sending pictures through wifi.  As soon as I turn on mobile data i receive the pics and send pics with no problems.  Is this how apple works or am I doing something wrong?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can't I send pictures to non iPhone users
jenniferh_vzw
Verizon Employee

I really appreciate you sharing your concern with me, JRealDeal215. Picture messaging through the standard Messages application on an iPhone with non-Apple devices actually requires cellular data connection to complete. That’s why those messages work with no problem when you turn on the mobile data. Pictures with other Apple users are being sent and received through iMessage, which works over both cellular and Wi-Fi. As another alternative there are applications, such as Verizon Messages https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/apps/verizon-messages/ , that allows those other picture messages to be sent and received over Wi-Fi.

Thank you

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

jenniferh_vzw
Verizon Employee

I really appreciate you sharing your concern with me, JRealDeal215. Picture messaging through the standard Messages application on an iPhone with non-Apple devices actually requires cellular data connection to complete. That’s why those messages work with no problem when you turn on the mobile data. Pictures with other Apple users are being sent and received through iMessage, which works over both cellular and Wi-Fi. As another alternative there are applications, such as Verizon Messages https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/apps/verizon-messages/ , that allows those other picture messages to be sent and received over Wi-Fi.

Thank you

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As the VZW Employee above mentioned, this is by design. To send an MMS (Picture/Video/Group) message, the mobile data must be turned on. This is true with pretty much every phone out there, so long as you are using the phone's native SMS/MMS capabilities.

It doesn't hurt to leave your mobile data on all the time these days. Just make sure Safety Mode is enabled on the account and line. This might come in handy someday if your phone is ever lost, and you need to use "Find my iPhone" to locate it.

0 Likes
dhosack1
Enthusiast - Level 1

This advice did not work for me. I have Cellular/Data enabled, as I do MMS/SMS. I am unable to send/receive using data or wifi.  Could this be at the carrier level or my busines contract? 

TeoRains
Enthusiast - Level 2

Upvote

I’m having the exact same problem with my iPhone XS Max. I’ve even used this phone with a different carrier and had no problems. I can’t send pictures to non-iPhones. I have no idea what to do and am basically thinking that we need to leave Verizon....

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TeoRains, this is not what we like to hear and we want you to be able ti use your device as you want to. Did you recently activate this device?

LauraL_VZW

0 Likes
TeoRains
Enthusiast - Level 2

TeoRains, this is not what we like to hear and we want you to be able ti use your device as you want to. Did you recently activate this device?

LauraL_VZW

Hi Laura,

Yes, we just activated 3-4 days ago. It really got to us yesterday. True story, we had a baby yesterday and we couldn’t send any pictures to our non-iPhone friends and family. It was really sad... Please help with this. I have tried everything already. Every support page, every possible fix... it only happens with Verizon and only with our iPhones. Both my wife’s and mine. To give a little perspective, I bought a new iPhone just a couple of days ago, and the problem was there instantly, but before that I had my sim in a Pixel 3 and had no problems at all... please help... 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for those additional details and congratulations on the baby! I can imagine how important it is to share those precious moments with friends and family at this time. Help is here. Do you have SMS turned on in settings? You can check by going to settings, messages and then make sure that "Send as SMS" is enabled. Have you tried deleting the conversation with the non-iPhone users on both sides and then starting a new text message conversation? If not, please do so. Let us know your findings. 

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
TeoRains
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for the congratulations! I have done that now and still nothing.. The progress of sending the picture gets almost all the way to the end and then fails. It says the message is unable to send. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dhosack1, I'm disheartened to learn that the information that we previously provided did not work for you as intended. Not to worry as we will make sure that we can get down to the bottom of this. What is the messaging application that you are currently using? Does this happen in one location or everywhere you go? Does this issue happen with everyone your send a picture message or to everyone?

KevinM_VZW

0 Likes