When in the data usage section of myverizon app, I'm using a lot of data on "chat" category. What is included in this category?
JIDDY78

When in the data usage section of myverizon app, I'm using a lot of data on "chat" category.  What is included in this category?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: When in the data usage section of myverizon app, I'm using a lot of data on "chat" category. What is included in this category?
JOHPAR90

I would like to what chat data is?

0 Likes
Re: When in the data usage section of myverizon app, I'm using a lot of data on "chat" category. What is included in this category?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JIDDY78,

We want to help you uncover this category. This is a great question. Do you use any apps such as SnapChat or Facebook Messenger? Under this category, does it show a little question mark next to it that you can click?

AliciaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

StoryTellerTN

I agree, this doesn't answer my quest either. I do not use these apps. However, I do talk to text with everything, will this increase chat data? Also, I have no "?" 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

StoryTellerTN,

It's always good to know what can and can't use data. Using a talk to text feature would not use any data, and a great way to confirm this is to place your phone into Airplane Mode with WiFi off (this can be done via your phone Settings). If you can still talk to text, then you never used any data to begin with. As for those question marks mentioned earlier, that would be seen in the Data Utilization Tool, which gives a breakdown of what used the data on your account (you can see more info about that tool here: http://vz.to/2dovOvw ).

RussellM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jerbcarter

I too am seeing most of my data going to the "Chat" category.  Basically, about 750MB of "Chat" data in 10 days.  I don't use Facebook Messenger, I don't have Snapchat, and I don't use iMessage more than a typical person.  I have a hard time believing I send 750MB of text messages in 10 days.  I believe there is a data or memory leak somewhere because there is no way I am using that much data.  If I truly am using that data, I can't find out which app is consuming it, and there doesn't appear to be any easy way to find out.  Please help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It’s important to us that all our customers know where all their data is being used at, jerbcarter. We are here to provide you with direction on where to see what is using it. On an iPhone you can view what is using data simply by going to Settings, tapping Cellular, when you scroll down all your apps will show. There each app will also show you how much data they have used as well.

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
SLBROOKE90
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you have an iPhone it's most likely the imessages using the data under the chat category.

Imessages use data unlike regular text messages which don't use data.

You can turn your imessages off in your settings.

0 Likes