Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
Using iPhone 4s as wireless hub
Fun2BeeDavid

Hi,

I'm curious about using my phone as a wireless hub for my MacBook Pro.  Anyone with experience in this?  How do upload/download speeds compare to cable with wireless modem?  My cable bill keeps rising and I'm looking for less expensive ways to stay connected.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Using iPhone 4s as wireless hub
Spiral
Master

In my opinion, using your iPhone 4s mobile hotspot would be a poor replacement for your cable modem.  I know the download speed of my iPhone 4 hotspot is significantly less than my cable modem at home.  I have the hotspot only because I travel frequently and it comes in handy when WiFi is not available.

Both the iPhone 4s & iPhone 4 are still 3G devices and can only transmit data as fast as they receive. 

Just my opinion.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Re: Using iPhone 4s as wireless hub
Not applicable

It works great if you have a 4G phone with unlimited data and unlimited hotspot.  Otherwise, it's not a good idea due to speed and data capacity.  I have 4G and unlimited data and still use U-Verse internet at home.  The hotspot works well as a backup and when away from home.

0 Likes