Poor voice quality
ziggyz

I'm sorry if this has been answered before.  I am now on my second 32G Iphone 5.  Ever since I received my new phone from Verizon, I have been having problems hearing the people that I'm speaking to;  their voices are choppy, robotic and wavering.  I have made all these calls in an area of strong signal strength;  the callers can all hear me well.  I took the phone to the local Verizon store and they did a reset, I tried restoring the phone and doing my own reset, but nothing worked.  I finally took the phone to an Apple store and they found a problem with the receiver, which they replaced.  The choppy voices continued soon after, and I when I took the phone to Apple the second time, they replaced it with a brand new phone.  I am still having poor voice quality on the new phone, just like the old one.  There are a lot of people complaining about the same issue on several Apple and Mac forums.  My friend, who has a Verizon 4S makes calls from the same locations as myself, but doesn't experience any of these issues.  I am wondering if anyone else has experienced these issues, if Verizon or Apple has acknowledged any of these issues and will there be a future software/hardware update?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Poor voice quality
macgolfer101

I have been experiencing the same problem you speak of and have received NO help from Apple or Verizon. I have been sent a new SIM Card which did nothing and have been given two new phones by a local Apple Retail Store. I was told to 'mark' my calls so that Verizon could look into it and they have yet to get back to me regarding this issue. I had been with AT&T for 8 years prior to switching to Verizon and have regretted this decision. My wife and I own a small business and as a new business customer I thought I would be treated a little bit better than I have been. I do not have time to travel to an Apple Store every night to change out my phone and be called a liar by the personnel at the store. I apologize for expressing my frustration on this matter and I hope you are able to resolve your issue better than I have.

** Apple released a new version of their iOS (6.0.1) today (11/6/12) and that has not made an improvement either... 

0 Likes
ziggyz

@macgolfer101

Thanks for your input;  I too switched from AT&T back to Verizon after two years of dropped calls.  I was hoping that the quality service that I remembered at Verizon would still exist.  I am not so sure anymore.  Most people that I know with the AT&T Iphone 5 aren't having any issues.  I will post here if I find any helpful information.

0 Likes
Emstermom

I just got mine today and I speaking with my daughter who has a 4s.  When I talked to her on my android she could hear me fine.  Today she said I sounded muffled.  Then I told her that before when I used my android all iphones sounded muffled or broken up.  What's going on here with sound quality?

0 Likes
ziggyz

I have just read a report in the Apple forums that an Apple rep said that there is now a known hardware issue with the iphone5.  I am not sure if I should wait a bit before I exchange my phone again;  I am afraid of getting another bad phone from this batch.

0 Likes
ImagoAssoc

I've had my iPhone 5 for several days and  use it for business. Not only is the voice quality poor---clients say, "we have a REALLY BAD CONNECTION---but the phone's ability to receive a signal is quite different than what my old Blackberry Bold could do. There are only three rooms in my home office that the new iPhone does not roll immediately to voicemail, no ring, nothing. I presume this is an antenna issue and that the Blackberry simply has a better/stronger antenna? I use a a cellular "repeater" I purchased from Verizon---Samsung Model SCS26UCA which worked with the Blackberry but is apparently not assisting the iPhone. Perhaps because its trying to access a different network---Verizon LTE?

0 Likes
ziggyz

After troubleshooting with Verizon, the rep recommended that I go back to Apple and swap phones.  I am now on my 3rd Iphone 5;  the new phone, so far, is better.  It still has an occasional voice distortion and the minimum volume setting is much louder;  I am going to give it a little while before I come to a conclusion.  By the way, the thread concerning this problem on the Apple forums has now reached 20 pages.  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4348915?start=285&tstart=0

0 Likes