Not receiving text messages from a specific person
kww619

After installing the latest update on my iPhone 5, I am no longer receiving any text messages from a specific user (another Verizon iPhone5) and others I'm not getting all of their texts. Any thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Not receiving text messages from a specific person
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello GreenTim.

I found an option that may just do the trick in helping you receive the messages that your friends are sending you. If you prefer to have your iMessage service disabled, your friends may just need to go to Settings > Messages > With iMessage turned on, scroll down to where it says: Send as SMS > Make sure they have that option turned on.

This will make sure that if you have iMessage disabled, the messages they send you will be delivered as an SMS text message to you, and not sitting in limbo.

Let us know if this helps!

Thank you GreenTim, and take care.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kww619,

That's definitely odd, I can see why you're concerned too. I know it's important to stay connected, and we definitely want you to have your messages backwith that person. This may have to do with your iMessages, here's how to determine if it's iMessages or text messages http://vz.to/KK7Lqa . If it is, please make sure you both go to Settings>Messages>Send & Receive, make sure both have them ON and your number selected.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
GreenTim

I am having a similar problem. I was able to send & receive texts from a specific person. Not sure when it exactly happened, but it was sometime after I or my friend got our iPhone 5. He can receive a text from me but I can't receive any from him. When we are in a group text, it appears I receive his texts. Recently happened to another friend of mine. Both have iPhone 5 and are with AT&T for service. I recently was in a group text with him, but didn't receive any of his texts. In that group text, I believe everyone had iPhones. My family (besides me) has AT&T and I have no problem getting texts from them, although no one has an iPhone 5 (two iPhone 4) I do not use iMessage because I don't like my messages showing up on all my devices. I have resorted to emailing these two friends, but REALLY want to resolve this. 

0 Likes
Sammygirl5
Enthusiast - Level 2

I, too, am having the same issue.  I have a non-iPhone friend who can receive  texts from me but I can't from him.  Doesn't matter if it's a new text or a response to my text.  We also have a new text system set up at work that is not working for me.  It uses 5 digit text numbers.  This is very frustrating.  I'm wondering who else I'm missing text messages from that I'm not aware of. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@GreenTim,

Let's get those text messages coming through! This is my main means of staying connected with family and friends, so I definitely know how important it is to have it working properly.

You mentioned this start right after you got your iPhone. Was you previous device another iPhone? If so, are you using the same Apple ID? Is your friend sending you an iMessage or standard text message? Do you have iMessages turned off on your phone?

I suggest you ask your two friend to send you a text and make sure they are sending it via standard text and not iMessage. Also, have them delete an messaging thread conversation with your number prior to sending the text. Keep me posted if the issue persist.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
PoetinEden

I am also having the exact problem and have missed many important messages. I have a month to month plan and have decided the service is too exorbitant for the service I am receiving.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for letting us know about your messaging, Sammygirl5. We definitely want to get all your text coming through smoothly. Do you also have an iPhone 5? Did this start with the installation of a new application or software? Do you know if the people sending you messages are receiving any type of error message? Please fill us in on a few more details about what's going on so we can help find a solution.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
GreenTim

I had the two people shut off their iMessage and it worked. My iMessage was originally turned off. Now my question is if anyone has iMessage "On", will I not be able to receive texts from them? That would stink because how will I know if someone is texting me and I'm not receiving the texts?...besides them actually telling me.

0 Likes
Sammygirl5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here are some specifics.

iPhone 5 w/iOS7

In July, before iOS7 update, I was made aware that someone was trying to text me and it appeared from their end the text went OK but I never received it. I was able to send a text successfully to them but when replying to my text I never received it. In addition, our company just implemented an opt in to receive text messages for company shutdown, etc. I signed up and am unable to receive these messages. I worked with someone internally here and it appears as though the message gets sent OK but I never receive it. It’s a 5 digit text number – not sure if that impacts my ability to receive the text.

Thank you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello GreenTim.

I found an option that may just do the trick in helping you receive the messages that your friends are sending you. If you prefer to have your iMessage service disabled, your friends may just need to go to Settings > Messages > With iMessage turned on, scroll down to where it says: Send as SMS > Make sure they have that option turned on.

This will make sure that if you have iMessage disabled, the messages they send you will be delivered as an SMS text message to you, and not sitting in limbo.

Let us know if this helps!

Thank you GreenTim, and take care.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport