International Roaming in GSM Countries -- Brazil -- Serious Issues in Sao Paulo
k9fans

I just got back from Sao Paulo and effectively had no or near no data roaming capability on my iphone 5.  Calls to support were unhelpful, although they were trying.  Turned off CDMA int'l roaming, resent network connections, etc.  Maximum speed I got was about 100 kbps, and usually much less.  Was unable to select any networks other than TIM when I shut off automatic network selection.  Call to global roaming when I returned was a joke -- she chalked it up to known, bad roaming agreements and was not technically sophisticated enough to understand that if the phone supports HSPA/+ (which it does) this shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone else roam in Brazil or Europe/other GSM countries and have a good or bad experience???  Determining whether to return phone.  Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Roaming in Brazil -- Serious Issues in Sao Paulo
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

service may be available but is not guaranteed when you are roaming on another carriers network. Service depends on that carriers network, towers, internet speeds available, etc. verizon did their best to assist you with the other carriers problems, but is something that they could not control. I doubt its the phone, but unless you are going back immediately to test another phone, the important thing is how the phone works for you in your area with the carrier that you are paying in the states, not while roaming globally.

0 Likes
k9fans

mrpearsoy, you're correct in general, but I was with a group with ATT phones and their roaming was flawless.  We selected the same carriers to try and test apples to apples and the 5 was consistently the one having issues (the others had either iphone 4S's or blackberry, but all were on ATT).  This means there could be something about the GSM implementation in the 5 or just my 5 has an issue.  Thus, it wasn't just the local carrier issues (which I know are not perfect).

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

k9fans wrote:

mrpearsoy, you're correct in general, but I was with a group with ATT phones and their roaming was flawless.  We selected the same carriers to try and test apples to apples and the 5 was consistently the one having issues (the others had either iphone 4S's or blackberry, but all were on ATT).  The means there could be something about the GSM implementation in the 5 or just my 5 has an issue.  Thus, it wasn't just the local carrier issues (which I know are not perfect).

My money then is on the phone, and here is why. The radio in the 5 is a new animal with LTE, and there could be an issue with how its switching over to the roaming carriers network. The 4s and blackberry radios in general are tried and true from 3g radios. Id go with switching to the 4s if you travel a lot, or wait for a patch from Apple if this becomes a known issue.

0 Likes