Erratic 3g signal & 3g signal dropping out
Quazmann

I have a 4s that has wildly changing 3g reception from the same location, while having a strong signal.  With 4 and 5 bars 3g speed will vary minute by minute from .01 MBPS to 1.75 (very rare) MBPS. average speed is .25 MBPS.  In addition with no change in reception bars, signal will drop to 2g (represented by the "0")  This happens most every time I use 3g for more than a few moments. I can then get 3g back again if I switch airplane mode on for a few seconds and back and then back off. Get back on line for a few moments and then repeat.  Very frustrating. I have 4 phones and mine is the worst.  Is this a handset problem or is the 3g in my area so overloaded that it refuses to work properly?  I expected so much more when I switched to Verizon. Any help would be appreciated as it is now the phone is driving me mad when not on WIFI. My location is Bellingham WA. 98226.  I am about 1.25 miles from either a cell tower or repeater, according to the cell tower tracker.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Erratic 3g signal & 3g signal dropping out
xiache
Enthusiast - Level 2

First of all, I think you live in a mountain/hilly area just as I do. Secondly, signal strength and signal quality are two different things. You may have 4 bar or more in signal strength, but a poor signal quality. Try somewhere flat and check your signal and speed again. If in a metropolitan area with 4 bar strength and the speed is still the same, then it points to the phone or the network, otherwise it is the area you are in.

0 Likes
Quazmann

No hills close to me, or between my home and the cell towers, (2 within 4 mile radius)  I really wonder if it is related to the local towers being swamped by too many users.... Just know that it is infuriating!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good afternoon Quazmann. 

I understand it can be frustrating if you're not able to get the maximum out of your phone.  Let's see what we can do to get this resolved. How long have you had your iPhone 4S? Have you had this problem since you got it? Do any of the other phones on your account have this problem? (I know you said yours is the worst.)  The basic troubleshooting would be to clear the memory, http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=48874 , and then restart your phone. You can also try re-programming the phone by dialing *228 [send], option 1. (Again, restart when completed.)  Lastly, with the iPhone 4S, it's important to close applications when not in use.  The following link gives you steps to do so. http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/assistant/application/#section_3

I trust this information is helpful.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes