Data used
kenr57

Question:  If I am connected to the internet and I log onto a website, will the data usage be charged against my data plan?  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data used
boringusername
Master - Level 1

If you are using mobile data of course. If you are using wi-fi it uses data from whatever ISP you're using. Why would using the internet not use data? What plan are you on?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@kenr57 wrote:

Question:  If I am connected to the internet and I log onto a website, will the data usage be charged against my data plan?  

What else could it possibly be charged against?

0 Likes
bikerval

If your phone is connected to the internet via wifi, say the wifi in your house, then browsing the internet on your phone does not use up your Verizon plan data. You can listen to podcasts, watch Netflix, etc and it is only using your wifi data when your phone is connected to wifi.

There ARE things that will use your Verizon plan data even when your phone is connected to wifi. I think sending photographs via a text message, for example, always uses Verizon data. Anything that only uses the Verizon means of transmission will use your Verizon plan data. MMS is one of those things.

Also, you are using your Verizon plan data whenever you turn your phone into a hotspot. When you have a tablet connected to the internet via your phone's hotspot... watching a movie on that tablet is using your Verizon plan data.

0 Likes
bikerval

Oops. I meant to say, If your phone is connected to the internet via wifi, say the wifi in your house, then browsing the internet on your phone does not use up your Verizon plan data. You can browse the internet, listen to podcasts, watch Netflix, etc and it is ---> only using data from your house wifi provider.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's vital to know how data is counted against your plan, kenr57. We definitely want to ensure that there is no confusion. As others have pointed out, accessing a website would definitely draw data. However, if you are connected to Wi-Fi, then mobile Verizon data would not be used. 

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes