Can not use my Verizon phones from home, why?
bill423

I have had my 3 Verizon phones for over 5 years now. I am not able to receive or make calls from home. I live in Columbus, OH. One would think a top rated phone company like Verizon, you could use these phones everywhere. Their phones work in all their commercials, but not from here!! I have called several times to the tech department from Verizon and they always seem concerned, but this problem never gets resolved. I recently purchased the IPhone 4s to see if a better phone would work, but same results. Verizon wants me to spend additional $$$ to get a power booster. With my constant problem I should be given one for free. Once one signs up for the two year contract Verizon doesn't care if you can use the product or not. Many of our neighbors have the same issues. Anyone else experiencing the same problems?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can not use my Verizon phones from home, why?
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

you live in a dead cell area

you need to move someplace that has coverage

oh and iphone is not really a better phone. (where you holding it correctly?)

best reception i have found is usually motorola

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

No cellular service provider has coverage everywhere.  Gaps in coverage are inherent in cellular technology.  Also, carriers don't guarantee service inside of buildings. Cellular phones were not meant to replace landlines, which would provide optimal service inside of buildings.

Verizon Wireless gives people 14 days to determine if the service and devices meet the customers' needs and desires.  If not, they can return the equipment and pay for the services that were used.  If you moved after starting your first contract, your option was to not renew at the end of that contract.  It seems that you knew that it was a coverage issue and not a phone issue, because you mentioned that your neighbors also had the same problems (unless you all had the same phones). 

If you keep renewing contracts for a cellular service provider that has poor coverage in your area, I would think that the lack of coverage doesn't bother you. 

0 Likes
wkavan02
Contributor - Level 1

You probably have the same problem that I have with reception at home. Paranoid, ignorant, wealthy residents of my town block any effort by a carrier to put in a new cell tower and expand the terrible coverage in my town, all because they think a tower would be an eyesore (and therefore impact their property values), that cell towers cause cancer (they don't and even the American Cancer Society acknowledges that fact), or a combination of the two.

A) Towers can be built to look less awful, for example by making them look like trees

B) Cell towers have NOT been proven to cause cancer and the majority of the evidence regarding cell tower emissions points to this.

Unfortunately, the carriers are so terrified that some wealthy group of "activists" will make a huge PR stink for them that the carriers will roll over and drop plans to put up more towers in wealthy areas plagued by poor reception at even the hint of a well-funded opposition, even though there is VERY rarely any legitimate legal ground for blocking the new towers. The bad PR is enough to send carriers running out of town with their tails between their legs.

0 Likes
wkavan02
Contributor - Level 1

Some towns that should have good coverage from at least one carrier just don't because the carriers' courage fails them with wealthy, paranoid residents oppose new towers based on inaccurate information about the towers and their impact. It is one of my biggest pet peeves. The whole NIMBY philosophy (Not In My Backyard) really kills lots of necessary projects in towns across America...

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I get what you are saying, wkavan02.  My question to the original poster is basically at what point does the question change from why is there no signal in my home to why am I still with a carrier that doesn't provide the service that I need/want?

I'll give a personal example.  I used to have a cell phone on Verizon Wireless.  Between the coverage and the bad device, I had a paperweight instead of a device to make phone calls on.  I know that the device was part of the problem because I also had a work phone that was very similar to my personal phone that was also on VZW.  The signal on the work phone was actually usable sometimes while the personal phone had no signal at all, and the phones were side-by-side.  Since I don't like to make personal calls on my work phone (it was allowed), I switched carriers.  The work phone had a better signal than my personal phone, but the signal was not reliable enough for me to want to stay with VZW. , both of those phones were Motorola phones, by the way. 

My point is that there may be situations where lack of coverage wouldn't bother the OP, such as if he had a landline phone at home.  However, if the lack of coverage is a problem, why stay with Verizon Wireless?

0 Likes