Can I downgrade from my iPhone 5?
sarahha1

I am wondering if I will be able to downgrade from my iPhone 5; When I purchased my phone, I was in a financial situation that allowed me to afford it easily. Since then, I have hit some rough patches and I am in desperate need to downgrade to a basic phone.

I cannot afford to pay the early termination fee as I just recently started my 2 year contract; would I be charged for downgrading to a basic phone that does not require a data plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I downgrade from my iPhone 5?
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Yes you can 'downgrade' your phone service to a basic phone plan (without the data plan) to save money.  You will need to activate a basic phone on your phone line.  Then you eliminate the data plan from your account either on-line or with the help of Customer Service.  Keep in mind that if you currently have an unlimited data plan you will lose this option when you decide to reinstate you iPhone data plan.  Considering your reason for dropping the data, I don't see this as a big issue.

Hopefully you have a basic phone available or can borrow one from a friend or family member.  If not you can buy them pretty cheaply online if needed.  Also consider selling your iPhone 5 online to pay for the basic phone (and more).

Good luck.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear Sarahha1,

Good morning. We understand certain situations arise and the need to downgrade your phone is needed. I am happy to inform you that, yes, you may downgrade to a basic phone. Thank you Spiral, as the information provided is exactly correct. If you currently have an unlimited data plan, the plan would be lost after having the basic phone active for 14 days. If you decide to reactivate the iPhone 5 in the future, you would be required to choose from our new data pricing. Click here to learn more about our new data pricing http://bit.ly/xdDajD .

Once you are ready to activate your basic phone you may log into your My Verizon account by clicking http://bit.ly/yN1P80 and clicking on the activate phone link. Should you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us. We would be more than happy to assist. Have a great day!

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
Spartannys

Also keep in mind that, if you received your phone at a subsidized price, you are still bound by your original terms and conditions.  For example if you chose to cancel the phone in the future,that Early Termination fees will be based upon the Iphone 5 (not the new feature phone). 

0 Likes