Calling 911 From Verizon Wireless iPhone 6
DeeMinou

On Sunday, 5/31/15, at 1:18 a.m. I attempted to dial 911 from my Verizon Wireless iPhone 6 in order to report a fire in my neighbor's backyard. When I dialed 911, the phone did not ring, but I saw the following on my screen:  91123333333. Every second or so, another "3" was added to the screen. As the fire was going larger and I was getting no response on the phone, I hung up from the 911 call and was attempting to look up my local fire department's non-emergency number, when my husband reported to me that 3 police vehicles were arriving to the fire.  A police officer told my husband that they were calling the fire department.  Why did I have difficulty in placing the call? Did my call trigger the police to come to our area through location services on the phone?

I've tried to call Verizon today for answers to my question but am having trouble getting through to a person. I subsequently reached Verizon by chat and the representative advised me to reset my network settings (settings > general > reset network settings) and she reset them on Verizon's end as well.  However, short of calling 911 to test this, I don't feel confident that this corrected the issue.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Calling 911 From Verizon Wireless iPhone 6
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

What they advised you to do is one of the better options. If you have any sort of Emergency section under settings, it wouldn't hurt to take a peek at those as well.

Unfortunately any solution you get, you'll still be in the same boat of only knowing for sure by calling 911. You MAY be able to dial it and quickly hang up before it ever rings. It sounds like the error came through quite quickly so just have your finger at the ready to hang up should the error not come through at the same speed it did before.

0 Likes
DeeMinou

Thank you MiiHere.  I do not see an emergency section under settings.  Where might it appear?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I don't have an iPhone 6, I was just throwing it out there. If your phone had it, it would most likely just security for your phone. I feel like somewhere there is a section about 911 calls, but that's on my Android. I'll see if I can poke around online and see.

Still, without trying to call it I am not thinking there will be something on your screen that says "911 calls will now go through" you'll just need to test it. Tell them your cat accidentally dialed it. (:

0 Likes