Battery dies at 25-35%
la_femme_niki

Since downloading iOS 7.0.2 my phone will shut off and only show the needs plugged in screen starting at about 35% battery. If I have an app running actively, like watching youtube or hulu it will keep going just fine, but as soon as I go to the home screen and let it sit for a minute or if I lock my phone, it immediately shuts down and does this to me. As soon as I plug it into a charger it will turn back on and still be at that same 25-35% battery life it was at when it died. How can I fix this?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Battery dies at 25-35%
KathyH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Software updates should only improve your performance la_femme_niki! This is unusual performance you have described. How often are you power cycling the device? Have you tried a full charge with the device powered off? How about ensuring that your apps aren't continuously running? You can check this by double clicking the home button. One last suggestion would also be to have the device evaluated in person at a store location, as the circumstance you have described could be related to moisture exposure.

http://bit.ly/3SdsA

KathyH_VZW

VZW Support

Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Mmbb30
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem since the update no battery issues prior..it started at 25% battery life left now it's doing this with 70% battery life left..is this an apple  software problem?

0 Likes
KathyH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hey there mmbb30,

I like the new Apple iOS7 operating system as it made a user friendly interface even friendly. Let's get your phone an energy drink to keep it running.

Is there any physical or water damage to the phone? Please try a soft reset,http://vz.to/193BqBC and let us know if the battery issues continue.

We also may need to recalibrate the battery. To do this fully charge the battery to 100%.  Let the battery drain until the phone shuts itself off. While the phone is powered off charge it again until it get's to 100% and test the battery life again.

Keep us updated with results.

KathyH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
karenc1268
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spoke to someone in Support a few days ago.  I've had problems with sudden battery death since IOS 7 and 7.0.2 as well.  I've been in warm (70's) weather, cool weather (40-50's), in dryness, wind, or whatever.  I'll be at a 70% charge, then suddenly after checking an email or whatever I'm down to 50%, then getting the plug in message.  When I plug in, it says I'm 70%.  What the heck?  I've done a reset on the phone multiple times, then after visiting my Verizon store I performed a backup and hard reset back to factory specs as they suggested.  This helped for about three days, and now I'm back to sudden losses of power or drops in charge. 

I'm obsessive about closing apps when I'm not using them, shutting off anything that might be running in the background, locator services, etc.  That was the first thing I looked up when I went with IOS7.  I have a 16 GB IPhone 4S purchased in May 2012.  I don't watch shows/videos, listen to music, etc.  The Support person helped me get through the backup and reset, but told me to call back or chat if I continued to have problems. 

0 Likes
karenc1268
Enthusiast - Level 2

And by the way, everything I've read from Apple is that their batteries are better if they DON'T go all the way dead before a recharge.  They DO NOT recommend that at all! 

Mmbb30
Enthusiast - Level 1

Everything you are saying sounds just like mine. I do not get a plug in message though.. The phone just powers off..I've tried resets, I've tried deleting most things off my phone..I've seen a lot of complaints from people having the same problem we are since ios7.0.2..my problem is as every day passes the phone powers off sooner..today it's powering off at 82% life left..plug back in and same life left..I have also set all settings to save battery life..there has been no damage to this phone..no issues until last 2 updates..EVER

0 Likes
Mmbb30
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also have issues with wifi being dropped constantly as well

0 Likes
Mmbb30
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes
la_femme_niki

KathyH_VZW

I have tried recalibrating the battery, and you would not believe how difficult it is to drain a phone battery to 0% when it starts shutting itself down and claiming to be dead at 35%. It took me forever because I had to keep plugging it in so that it would turn back on, then starting up an app to run so that the screen wouldn't time out and make the phone shut off again. I finally succeeded in draining it to 0%, then plugged it in, but another problem is that if I plug the phone in it automatically turns itself back on. It does not want to stay powered off while plugged in. Anyways, I charged it back to 100% and now it has improved slightly, but it still "dies" at the 20-25% range. My phone was not subjected to any moisture or anything like that, and this issue started with the iOS 7 update. Other than the battery issue, I also like iOS 7, but it is very frustrating that my phone dies when I still have 25% battery left. And it does this every time without fail.

Karenc1268- I have also experienced that glitch in the past, where my phone would be at 70-something % battery and then I would pick it up and it would all of a sudden say I was at less than 10% battery, then I would plug it in and it would jump right back up to the original 70-something % charge. That has not happened to me since the iOS 7 update, and it only happened a few times in the year and a half I've had my phone. But this stupid phone dying at 25-35% thing happens EVERY time my phone gets to that battery % range.

0 Likes