Bring my own phone
detfan68

Thinking about having a family member join my account and want to know how the bring your own device thing works?

If i have a bery that is just sitting around I can just what? Call and have it added, sign no contract? Or do they have to go through the whole checking my credit info and id and all of that silly stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Bring my own phone
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

detfan68 wrote:

Thinking about having a family member join my account and want to know how the bring your own device thing works?

If i have a bery that is just sitting around I can just what? Call and have it added, sign no contract? Or do they have to go through the whole checking my credit info and id and all of that silly stuff?

Thanks in advance.

If you are currently on an Individual plan and want to "add a line" and make it a family plan, that's easily done, and I don't think a credit check will be needed as you already have the account; you are simply changing the plan.  Cost would depend on the plan and how many shared minutes you need, and if you want text messaging added.

Adding the "berry that is just sitting around" would depend on the specific phone.  Is it a Verizon device?  It would cost an additional $29.99/month for the Blackberry data plan, provided the device is compatible with Verizon's network.

HTH and answers your questions.

0 Likes
detfan68

Yes, It is a Verizon phone. I have two options add a line and buy a phone and sign the contract, which they do run the  credit check btw for some strange reason, which I do not mind. Or not sign the contract and use the the used phone. If I can use the used phone can that be done online or do I need to take it in, and I wonder if they go through the same scrutiny of dl check and credit check...

anyone from VZW have that answer for me?

Oh and thanks Suzy, I appreciate your help.

0 Likes
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

detfan68 wrote:

Yes, It is a Verizon phone. I have two options add a line and buy a phone and sign the contract, which they do run the  credit check btw for some strange reason, which I do not mind. Or not sign the contract and use the the used phone. If I can use the used phone can that be done online or do I need to take it in, and I wonder if they go through the same scrutiny of dl check and credit check...

anyone from VZW have that answer for me?

Oh and thanks Suzy, I appreciate your help.

Yes you can activate online (as long as it is a VZW phone)

Yes you can add the phone to your account and change your plan online

No credit check is done because it's going on your account and you'll be responsible for the bill each month.

Hope that answers your questions...

0 Likes
detfan68

Thanks Michele, if you do not mind me asking.. How can I do this online? I am just not seeing the option to add my own bring my own device...Can you help me with this?

I mean I see where you can add a line but that takes me through the process of uying a phone, and I also see activate a phone but that only gives me the option of changing my current device to a different one.

0 Likes
detfan68

Nobody else? Can this be done online and if so, HOW??

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

detfan68 wrote:

Thanks Michele, if you do not mind me asking.. How can I do this online? I am just not seeing the option to add my own bring my own device...Can you help me with this?

I mean I see where you can add a line but that takes me through the process of uying a phone, and I also see activate a phone but that only gives me the option of changing my current device to a different one.

I would call Customer Service 800-922-0204 and let them help you. If you can add the line without purchasing a phone, then you can use the phone you want to put on that line to call *228 option 3 and activate it yourself - you'll need to know the phone number they assigned to your new line of service.  It may be easier to call CS and let them handle it all.

0 Likes
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

As long as you are the account owner you can:

then go to the quick links on your main home screen off to the right

click on add a new line

read and accept the terms and conditions

and then either choose individual account or family share

and go from there...

If you are switching from one line to a family share you'll need to find that quick link first and change your plan to family share then add a line. 

Either way you're going to be offered a phone at little to no cost for the new line, you can take that and keep for a replacement in case of emergency and have it activated right away or find the link for bring your own device and activate it.

Best of luck!!

0 Likes
detfan68

Thanks again Michele,

I went through that and never was given that option..I am just not seeing it. I guess I will have to make time to get into the store. We already have a family share plan.. My reasoning for not just getting a free phone and switching it was simply to avoid the 2 year agreement..

Anyway, thanks again.

0 Likes