Will the KeyONE CDMA unlocked phone work in Europe?
koohead

KeyONE owners...has anyone taken the CDMA unlocked phone to Europe? Will it work there? I ask because Europe is on GSM networks and I travel there often so need to make sure the KeyONE will work there. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Will the KeyONE CDMA unlocked phone work in Europe?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It appears that Verizon CDMA model has included GSM radios in the phone. BlackBerry® KEYone | Specifications

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
koohead

Thanks for the link to the specs....helpful. Interesting though...both US variants appear to handle the same CDMA/GSM networks??? So is there really a difference in the variants? I see that there are different LTE bands supported but again based on this​ it seems both US variants support the primary Verizon LTE band 13?? Getting more confused by the minute....

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The US v1 model doesn't have any CDMA radios. The WCDMA is a GSM network and isn't the same as CDMA. The CDMA radios is listed under the 2G section of network bands.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
koohead

Thank you for clarifying those details. Based on that, can I correctly say that the 'only' difference and risk I would run is if I end up in an area that does not offer 4G LTE or 3G coverage (In North America)?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

In the USA if there isn't a Verizon Wireless 4G LTE or 3G cellular connection, there might be a 1xRTT (2G) network still available otherwise you won't have any service. There are cellular dead spots in the United States. I've been to a few of them.

0 Likes
koohead

Thank you very much for all of your input and expertise. Appreciate it. based on this discussion I'm 99% sure the Verizon specific variant (BBB100-3 US V2) WILL work in Europe on a GSM network, and 98% sure that the BBB100-1 US V1 would work on Verizon where I have LTE and 3G coverage. Of course, it's those remote rural areas that may not have LTE or 3G coverage where one would really need a mobile phone...so there's that factor to consider.

If a KeyOne owner has actually taken their phone to Europe and was successful in using it there on the GSM networks (via one of Verizon's International Plans...not using a separate SIM) I'd appreciate a comment so I can move up to 100% confidence Smiley Happy

thanks!

0 Likes