Pixel Can't Receive SMS After Oreo Update From Verizon
GatorAndroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Frustrating issue. I cannot receive SMS/MMS messages from anyone since September 3rd, a few days after I upgraded to Oreo on my Pixel on Verizon. I have spoken with VZ teir 2 support 4 times, helpful but no solution. I have issue logged with Google support. There are numerous postings on the internet about this. Verizon, please put pressure on Google to fix this issue. It is utterly absurd that many people are having this issue and it is not fixed yet. I had an NRB ticket logged with Verizon but I never heard anything back.

Issue is occurring for others, see these links:

Google Groups

Google Groups  (issue said to be escalated here)

Google Groups

https://forums.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-pixel-xl/830977-pixel-cant-receive-sms-after-oreo-upd...

(most comprehensive list of the various things people have tried...)

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/70qxk6/im_not_receiving_text_messages_after_the_oreo/?...

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/6zfle4/it_seems_pixels_are_having_a_major_issue_with/?...

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/6yyym1/after_oreo_yesterday_can_no_longer_receive_text...

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/717p3x/apparently_i_havent_been_receiving_texts_for_a/

here is an article where the writer said they have observed "a lack of incoming text messages" and called it a "minor issue"... hardly a minor issue in my book: https://www.androidcentral.com/pixel-and-nexus-owners-hows-oreo-update-holding

When will this be fixed?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Pixel Can't Receive SMS After Oreo Update From Verizon
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't have any issues with not receiving text messages. Have you reseated the SIM card or replaced the SIM card?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
GatorAndroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes thanks. That is one of the many things I and others have tried that didn't fix the issue. Only thing that has fixed the issue is a full factory reset, but for some the issue returned even after that. The AndroidCentral post I included has over 6000 views... it's not an isolated incident.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GatorAndroid-

Software updates are supposed to make your phone better, not worse. I'm so sorry that you haven't been able to receive a text message for 20 days now. I sent you a message to your community inbox. Please reply there so we can provide more personalized support.

AmberK_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
GatorAndroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

AmberK, thanks... reply sent.

0 Likes
GatorAndroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

I caved and did the Factory Reset. Have already received a text. Initial feedback is that things are good. When Factory resetting, I chose "copy data" (as opposed to start fresh), "don't have old phone", "backup from cloud". Will report back later and definitely if the issue comes back. Extremely frustrated that this is what was needed but I've been 3 weeks without receiving texts...

0 Likes
GatorAndroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good to hear VZ and Google are working on it. See here from Brian this morning.

I did the Factory Reset yesterday too. Receiving text messages now... we'll see if it lasts.... but no way a factory reset should be the "fix".  I had done a Google backup which helped a lot after reset which covered most things but still took a lot of my Sunday getting this back to normal. I did a restore also from VZ cloud for my docs, music,SMS/MMS (mainly to get my MMS messages (media in Android Messages was what was missing, the group messages were there from google restore), which, as expected, did not come back from the Google Restore. The SMS were there from the google restore though). That VZ cloud restore of SMS/MMS took the longest time as the pull from the cloud took over 14 hours over WiFi to get 50% completed (not sure why) but then the last 50% finished in 10 minutes.

After Factory Reset, so far no matter what I've tried so far this morning, I cannot get my phone to connect with my car through BT.... looks like I'm headed next over the the plethora of trails on BT issues on Pixel after Oreo... bummer. Hopefully, I try again and it will work tonight. I sure hope that is not the next issue with Oreo on Pixel that I will be battling.

0 Likes
GatorAndroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there any update on a REAL fix to this issue yet. The view count on this post and the Google Forum posts just keeps going up and still no fix.

0 Likes
BLUEFLAMEHYDRA

This is also happening on my Nexus 5x w/ Oreo, obviously on Verizon. I've never had the Verizon Messages+ app, was using Android Messages when my friends and family started to call and email me saying I wasn't responding to text messages.

This is also happening to a co-worker on a VZW Galaxy S7 w/ Nougat using ChompSMS. This is not just an issue with Pixel phones.

0 Likes
panamike

We are extremely disappointed. We just got our phones yesterday. One phone works but the other phone doesn't receive text messages. We even factory reset. What is going on if we can't get it to work with the factory reset? Should we expect the other phone to fail as well?

0 Likes