Can I add an unlocked Galaxy S8 directly from Samsung as an upgrade?
verite88
Enthusiast - Level 1

what do I need to do to add it as an upgrade to my existing Verizon account and if I do will have all the same functions as if I purchased a phone from Verizon?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: If I purchase an unlocked Galaxy S8 directly from Samsung
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't add it as an upgrade. You take the SIM card out your current phone and insert it in the s8 provided the SIM card slot is the same size. Not all of the Verizon exclusive functions might not work on an unlocked device. The Verizon Visual Voicemail feature is likely one that won't work.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't add it as an upgrade. You take the SIM card out your current phone and insert it in the s8 provided the SIM card slot is the same size. Not all of the Verizon exclusive functions might not work on an unlocked device. The Verizon Visual Voicemail feature is likely one that won't work.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
verite88
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have a Galaxy S4.  I don't care so much about getting an unlocked phone but purchasing it from Samsung appears to be the only way to get the S8 in Coral Blue.  I could not find anyplace on the Verizon site that lists what functions might not be available for an unlocked phone. It seems crazy that Verizon now allows it like everyone else (and has previously with Iphones, which come unlocked) but offers no clear explanation of what functions may not be available. There's only scattered information in the industry press at other websites.