Why is IRC blocked on tethering?
wcoile
0 Likes
Re: Why is IRC blocked on tethering?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which device are you using? All of the Verizon Wireless network is behind a NAT firewall with private IP addresses unless you purchase a public IP address.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
wcoile

To be clear, this question is about blocking on outbound connections to IRC servers, using a tethered connection (a.k.a. 'personal hotspot' on some devices) where a VZW phone provides a connection to a laptop, for example.

0 Likes
wcoile

This has nothing to do with NAT.  Happily, VZW provides IPv6 via tethering from handheld to laptop.

0 Likes
wcoile

This also has nothing to do with running a server on a handheld or laptop.  This is only about outbound stupid blocking VZW is doing on tethered connections.

0 Likes
wcoile

Actually looking at the logs the problem is not the initial outbound connection after all, my bad.  But the Ident still doesn't work.

[19:33:20] Connecting to [irc.freenode.net] on port 6697

[19:33:20] Connection to host at [2001:6b0:e:2a18::118] established

[19:33:21] Connection secured using Transport Layer Security (TLS), version 1.2 with the cipher suite: DHE-RSA-AES-256-GCM

[19:33:21] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...

[19:33:21] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident

[19:33:21] -leguin.freenode.net- *** Couldn't look up your hostname

[19:33:29] -leguin.freenode.net- *** No Ident response

[19:33:31] Disconnected

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure we provide any and all options available to help. So we can better assist, please tell us more about what you're trying to connect to. What specifically is an IRC?

LynnD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes