Regret switching? - LTE uploads in San Diego are VERY poor
lagreca

I just switched from AT&T to Verizon last week, and so far have been regretting that decision.  Not only has coverage in east county been less than what I was accustom to on AT&T, but data speeds have also been MUCH slower. 

Specifically, upload speeds in Lakeside, CA 92040 have been around or under 1 Mbit.  I tried to use FaceTime for a video call yesterday, and while I could see the remote person, most of the time they could NOT see me because of a poor connection.  I hung up that call and ran a speed test to find 5.59/0.27 Mbits! 

I ran another test, on another day, on another phone in Mission Valley, which is quite central in San Diego, and found more poor LTE speeds of 4.38/3.98!  These speeds are what I would expect from a 2 or 3g network, NOT LTE. 

Are these typical speeds on Verizon? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Regret switching? - LTE uploads in San Diego are VERY poor
lagreca

Here is an example of data speed in 92040 that I just (2/23/17 @ 11am) tested:  Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

IMG_8121.PNG

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I am in San Diego and do not see this. What part of town? Does it stay that way in other areas. Verizon overall in San Diego is excellent coverage.

Here is around UTC mall area

image1.PNG

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

lagreca wrote:

I just switched from AT&T to Verizon last week, and so far have been regretting that decision. Not only has coverage in east county been less than what I was accustom to on AT&T, but data speeds have also been MUCH slower.

Specifically, upload speeds in Lakeside, CA 92040 have been around or under 1 Mbit. I tried to use FaceTime for a video call yesterday, and while I could see the remote person, most of the time they could NOT see me because of a poor connection. I hung up that call and ran a speed test to find 5.59/0.27 Mbits!

I ran another test, on another day, on another phone in Mission Valley, which is quite central in San Diego, and found more poor LTE speeds of 4.38/3.98! These speeds are what I would expect from a 2 or 3g network, NOT LTE.

Are these typical speeds on Verizon?

I apologize, I missed you were in Lakeside and Mission Valley. Certainly the 0.27 Mbps is not typical. The LTE 4.38/3.98 in Mission Valley while slow is more than enough for streaming Facetime and video.

What plan are you on? Are you over 22GB if you are on the new unlimited plan?

0 Likes
lagreca

Yes, the Mission Valley speed is "acceptable" in terms of use, but not really in terms of what should be expected from one of the nations largest carriers, on their LTE network, in the middle of a major city. 

I just switched last week to the new unlimited plan.  I have only used 2 GB's to date. 

I just found this article:  San Diego, CA - Fastest Mobile Networks 2016 | PCMag.com

I know this article is about a year old now, but it would seem that Verizon is NOT ahead of their competition, at least in San Diego, in terms of network speed and latency.  While I can't vouch for T-Mobile, I can for AT&T, and It seems as though AT&T and T-Mobile are better choices in San Diego. 

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I can tell you I have had AT&T and T-mobile for work in San Diego. I also travel a fair bit. With T-mobile we had people asking to use their own personal phones due to so many poor signal areas and dropped calls.

I personally go by do I get done what I need to get done and while speed tests can be interesting, are really not measuring real world requirements. Verizon has given me the best overall experience in San Diego and travelling by far.

Having said that, 0.27 Mbps is not acceptable if it is consistent and you should report it to Verizon.

AT&T unlimited plan is not as robust as any of the other offerings.

0 Likes
lagreca

Yes, I was VERY skeptical of T-Mobile, which is why I ended up moving to Verizon.  But I figured it would be nearly equal to, if not better than AT&T.  I guess the "better" part of Verizon must be nationwide coverage, but not speed, especially in San Diego. 

How do I report a network problem to Verizon?  With AT&T they had an iOS app (AT&T Mark the Spot on the App Store ). 

0 Likes