Why Am I Still Getting Texts When My iPhone 7 Is On Airplane Mode?
TWOKIDSGRAY

my phone is in airplane mode... I am on wifi and still receiving text messages. I do not want to incur any additional charges..

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Airplane mode
Weth
Legend

Then these are iMessages.  Still no charge.  Don't worry as long as you see airplane symbol. 

If if you want the wifi calling (again, it is great!) go to:

Settings/Phone/Wi-Fi Calling.  Turn on Wifi calling on this iPhone and prefer wifi calling while roaming.  You will be asked for an emergency address, just put your home address.

Now or you will see VZW Wi-Fi in upper left with airplane mode icon and wifi symbol.  You can safely call back to USA and receive any call for free when you see that and send or receive any text.  Good things.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you receiving them on the Verizon Messages+ application? Is your phone model capable of wifi calling?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

TWOKIDSGRAY

im receiving them in reg text messages.. i have an iphone 7 plus

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have "VZW WiFi" in the status bar?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Weth
Legend

iPhone 7 is wifi calling capable.

As as long as you are in airplane mode, and you see the airplane icon upper left, you want incur additional charges. 

You probably have VZW-WiFi in upper left where Verizon usually is.  This is wifi calling mode. In this mode you are using wifi as your connection to Verizon.  The great thing is, as far as the phone is concerned, it is like you are at home.   You can send and receive text no charge and you can call the US or receive any call for free, no international roaming.  If you call the country you are in, it would be long distance from the US. 

It it is a great feature!  Don't be concerned as long as you see the airplane mode icon and see VZW-WiFi!  Go ahead and call back home worry free!

0 Likes
TWOKIDSGRAY

No i just have an airplane and the wifi symbol.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Then these are iMessages.  Still no charge.  Don't worry as long as you see airplane symbol. 

If if you want the wifi calling (again, it is great!) go to:

Settings/Phone/Wi-Fi Calling.  Turn on Wifi calling on this iPhone and prefer wifi calling while roaming.  You will be asked for an emergency address, just put your home address.

Now or you will see VZW Wi-Fi in upper left with airplane mode icon and wifi symbol.  You can safely call back to USA and receive any call for free when you see that and send or receive any text.  Good things.

TWOKIDSGRAY

Ok ty

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes