Defective Nexus 6 Nougat OTA Update
Darkurthe
Enthusiast - Level 3

So after talking to tier 1 and tier 2 support I have received three different answers:

1. You'll get you OTA update in 2-3 days, we promise be patient
  2. Every Verizon Nexus 6 has had the OTA, we'll open up a trouble ticket because we did not do something right
  3. Your phone has the latest Android OS
  4. Do the SUA to update your phone.

Obviously #2 is the truth, but it shows that Verizon support is both lazy (see answer 1), incompetent (see answer 3) and not educated (see answer 4).  Basically they insisted that I keep on waiting and never submitted a ticket. 

I have never needed much in the way of support from Verizon, in fact one call in 9 years for a quick question about a phone.  The second you need them, their wheels fly off.  I will be moving on from Verizon, clearly they could not care about existing customers and double so when the error is their's.  

The second I am off contract, I am walking away from Verizon.  Another provider may treat me no better, but I will not knowingly accept being treated as trash by the one I am currently on.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Defective Nexus 6 Nougat OTA Update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand that the importance of this software update. Sorry for all the different answers. When you say defective. Are you sayiung the update was pushed to your device and was defective or you have yet to get the update period?

AnthonyM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
oscarh
Enthusiast - Level 3

No update received, I think, the same in my case. I keep checking software update, even cleared cache partition, no Android 7 (Nougat) yet.  Has *any* Verizon customer received Android Nougat for the Nexus 6 (*not 6p*) yet?

Darkurthe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Defective as in my phone was never updated.  The OTA was never sent to my device.  Likewise when I manually check my device says it is up to date (currently Marshmallow with Nov Security update).  The incompetence of Verizon at this point is actually amazing. 

0 Likes
Darkurthe
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am not happy to hear I am not the only one.  Verizon support is clueless and are unable to help us.  Needless to say given their lack of support I will be moving to another provider.  That provider may stink just as bad, but it is clear that Verizon only cares about new subscribers and not long time ones.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon does not control when updates are released to the Nexus devices. These are on Google, and Google is known to push these updates out in Waves.

Try removing the Verizon SIM Card from the phone, then update the device. Some have mentioned in the past that this is a workaround. Once the OTA update is installed, re-insert your SIM Card and you should be good.

Otherwise, if you back up your phone, Google allows you to flash the latest factory images to your device:

Factory Images for Nexus and Pixel Devices  |  Google APIs for Android  |  Google Developers

Also an FYI: Official Android 7.1.1 update will come to the Nexus 6 in early January

0 Likes
Darkurthe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon does have control, each carrier still determines when the update goes out.  Verizon has said that every Nexus 6 should have received an update by now.  Clearly a lie or incompetence (though neither is mutually exclusive).

The sim removal trick does not work.

If I wanted to re-image my device, I would do so.  A reason we pay Verizon/Google is so we do not have to.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Exactly which version of the OS is currently on your phone?  Did you ever try the Software Update Assistant tool? The latest was released on 12/08/2016. Google Nexus 6 Software Update | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Darkurthe
Enthusiast - Level 3

The SUA does not work for the Nexus 6 and the instructions on the site are literally copied from the Motorola X site. 

Running the last version of Marshmallow.

0 Likes
Darkurthe
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Verizon does not control when updates are released to the Nexus devices."

I may the the only one who has called Google.  They sent the update to the carrier, the carrier then chooses to push the OTA.  Call Google at 8559719123, they will explain it.  Unlike Verizon, they are actually competent and polite.