What is the difference between using * 86 and entering a password to access voicemail?
brownbook

My voice mail access works fine....dial voicemail enter my 5 digit password, etc  Absolutely no problem with that.

Yesterday my phone showed  the voicemail icon, and also a notice New voicemail....Dial * 86.

When I dial * 86 just on the phone number touch pad it goes to my voice mail page and I am prompted to enter my password.  If I enter * 86 on my voicemail screen I am prompted to enter my 5 digit  password   When  I enter my 5 digit password I am told I have no new voicemail messages?

I have tried calling my voicemail from a different phone and the same happens? * 86..."please enter your password" etc. 5 digit password, you have no new voicemail?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: * 86 vs enter (5 digit) password to access voicemail
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

brownbook wrote:

I have tried calling my voicemail from a different phone and the same happens? * 86..."please enter your password" etc. 5 digit password, you have no new voicemail?

You can't use *86 to call on another phone - it will connect to the voicemail of the calling phone.  From another phone, you need to dial your own number.  When your greeting starts to play, press #, then your password and #.

The voicemail icon is the Visual Voicemail app - not *86.  Yes, you can still dial in to voicemail, but the app SHOWS you a list of the voicemails and you can listen selectively instead of having to go through each voicemail with *86.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

apples & oranges....one for vm, the other to unlock the phone.

0 Likes
brownbook

sorry, you answer makes no sense, my question has nothing to do with unlocking my phone?  I have never used *86 to access my voicemail and now am prompted to?

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

when you get the notification of voice mail don't you have to select "dial"  to retrieve the message, it's calling *86 & that'show vm is listened to. i'm still asked for the pw to hear the message......but mine is a 4 digit code.

the default recovery password for voice mail is the last 4 digits of the phone number....i changed to a different code.

i'm not sure why you're using a 5 digit code.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

brownbook wrote:

You can't use *86 to call on another phone - it will connect to the voicemail of the calling phone.  From another phone, you need to dial your own number.  When your greeting starts to play, press #, then your password and #.

The voicemail icon is the Visual Voicemail app - not *86.  Yes, you can still dial in to voicemail, but the app SHOWS you a list of the voicemails and you can listen selectively instead of having to go through each voicemail with *86.

0 Likes