FM radio disabled by Verizon on LG v20 - safety issue
jraines
Contributor - Level 1

I recently purchased the LG v20, the VS995 Verizon for a potential replacement of my current phone.

I tried to install an FM radio app called NextRadio; only to find that Verizon has the FM radio chipset disabled. I called Verizon customer support and they were of little assistance; basically they just couldn't find out what was going on.

I then contacted LG who told me that all of the phones are sent with an FM radio chipset, and that Verizon either disabled it via software or they might have actually physically disconnected it from the motherboard.

I then contacted Roy A. Chestnutt through your automated system on the Verizon website leadership page. I received a form letter saying someone would contact me within a business day. That would've been Monday. Today is Wednesday, and no one has contacted me about the issue.

Therefore I am trying on the forum!

Being able to listen to emergency broadcasts, or even local FM radio in the event of any type of emergency might mean life or death; and most of us don't carry around an additional FM radio in the event that cellular networks are down.

AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile are all allowing access to their FM chipsets. As far as I can tell, Verizon is the only one that has disabled them.

I get it, I get it... You have the best network and that costs a lot of money to maintain. You have the best network, in part, because of your policies that make you more money. I pay you more money every month because your network works and when something is broken, you fix it fast. That is worth money to me, and apparently to every other Verizon customer.

But, this is a safety issue...

The irony of this situation? The only Verizon phone I currently have that gives me access to the FM chipset is my Samsung Galaxy Note 7...

You remember the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, yes? That's the phone you keep insisting I return... You know, for my own safety...  <sigh>

Could we please get the FM chipsets turned on for both the galaxy note 5 and the Verizon LGV 20? If Verizon is that serious about the safety of their customers, surely they will see the wisdom in granting this simple SAFETY request.

Labels (1)
Re: FM radio disabled by Verizon on LG v20 - safety issue
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should look into the FCC certification documents to see if LG paid for the certification of the FM chip for the Verizon Wireless model of the V20. My guess is that that LG didn't have it tested. Verizon Wireless has absolutely no say in what radios their models have unless LG is charging extra for the certification which would bring the cost of the phones higher than the equivalent T-Mobile Sprint or AT&T model. If that is the case, do you want to pay xx amount more than another carrier's model for a feature few people use? I wouldn't. So I don't blame Verizon Wireless for not including it. I would blame LG for not making it a standard feature and not charge extra for it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Tidbits
Legend

IF it is enabled by default Verizon can't remove it.  See BlackBerry Bluetooth for example.  Now is a manufacturer charges to enable it, and the carrier doesn't buy in then the manufacturer is the one that removed the feature.

If you look at it every V20 has something missing and probably the reason why some have FM radio and some do not.  The T-Mobile version is missing the Calculator from LG and uses the stock Android one.  Sprint is missing the gallery as well as the AT&T version.  Missing the LG calendar as well.  There is so much software variation between models it screams of nickle and diming features by LG.  Even overseas you see variations.

Tidbits
Legend

I would like to add there far better alternatives to having a FM radio on cell phone.  As a person who have lived in Tornado Alley, and a person currently living in a state that has to watch for Hurricanes, and Tsunamis there are thousands of alternatives which last longer, are lightweight. 

mama23dogs
Legend

If FM radio was that important you should have checked the specs before purchase.

We have a hand crank rechargable battery radio for emergencies.  4 and 5 years ago when power was out for 9 days and cell towers were damaged the hand crank radio was our only media for the first few days. 

Even without FM radio, there are apps to listen to your local emergency radio transmissions.  Scanner radio is the one that I use.

jraines
Contributor - Level 1

LG told me (and of course the person I talked to there could be wrong...) that the phones were shipped fully functional, and Verizon has disabled it. 

The maker of an FM app told me that all it needs to work is software, definitely from Verizon, and they are the one carrier that is dragging their feet. 

Therefore, I'm surmising that the problem is *Verizon*...  that, and they haven't answered my inquiry.

If they restrict FM radio, they force you to use more data to get FM radio; ridiculous.  I get that they need to make money, but IMO they shouldn't make it this way.

jraines
Contributor - Level 1

You sound like a Verizon employee...

What I wanted to do is keep my Galaxy Note 7; which does have the FM chipset enabled, btw...  pretty ironic, huh?  If Verizon would just leave me alone about returning that phone, I wouldn't be having to deal with checking out all the specs of these other phones... 

NOTHING in any of the literature I found told me they had disabled this...  😞

I wanted to get an unlocked version, but those specs did show that the unlocked version was missing quite a few LTE bands, and since I live in a more remote area, that wasn't good, either.  It's always a trade-off, but Verizon is the WORST carrier for removing functionality.

Other than that; I like Verizon because it just works...

Yes, I understand I can still listen to FM radio - through using their data - ridiculous...  and I don't always carry a hand-crank FM radio with me everywhere I go.  In the ice storm of 2009 where I live, I was without power in the winter for 3 weeks, so I can relate to what you're talking about.  And cell phone service was down, too for awhile...  and if it is then you can't use those apps to listen to your local emergency radio stations - that's the point.

No, Verizon disabled this; and I would like an explanation from them 1.) why they did it, and more importantly, 2.) Who do I have to gripe to for fixing it?

jraines
Contributor - Level 1

Agreed...  and I have those things at home; but am unlikely to be carrying them with me all the time. 

What I DO carry all the time is my cell phone, like a lot of people.  And the cell phone I'm currently carrying with me is the ONLY one that has the FM radio enabled, ironically...  the one they want me to return on the recall... supposedly for my safety!

It's just frustrating...  it seems like the only reason for disabling it is to force us to use more data.  I understand they're a business, and the good network costs mega-bucks; but this is a little ridiculous! 

With my 4 lines, and paying them an average of $200/month over 10+ years, and buying phones, and everything else - Verizon has easily earned $30,000 from me.  I'm thinking that should maybe be worth not  trying to nickel & dime me to death over something like disabling FM radio that could actually be really helpful in an emergency...  Do you see my point?

Tidbits
Legend

Then it will last about a day what happens when the power is out longer than a week?  There are so many things that battery from the cellphone can do for you than be your radio.  There are items out there that'll last days and are no larger than your finger Smiley Happy Your phone depending when you bought it can charge that device in about 10 minutes about 30 times over.  If the battery is removable it can help start a fire for example.  There's a lot more out there.

I am pointing out the fact LG is lying to you.  Back in 1999 CA courts Manufacturers and carriers talked about agreements that was set forth and found that carriers buy into a set of options set up by manufacturers.  If the carrier doesn't buy in then it is disabled or removed.  Also the Blackberry lawsuit happened because BT was a standard feature which was later removed by Verizon's request to BB and the courts deemed that was wrong and Verizon lost.

So keep this in mind.  Manufacturer options does not mean carriers disabled it.  It means they chose not to buy in.  Manufacturers are the ones that disabled it.  If it was standard and was put in then carriers can't remove it.  See Galaxy S7, S7 Edge, Note 7 which Samsung made it a standard feature and they do have it Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

jraines wrote:

The maker of an FM app told me that all it needs to work is software, definitely from Verizon, and they are the one carrier that is dragging their feet.

Therefore, I'm surmising that the problem is *Verizon*... that, and they haven't answered my inquiry.

Verizon Wireless doesn't touch the code. LG is the company responsible for writing the software. LG is the company that has to send the device through the FCC certification testing process.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes