Virtual Keyboard Loses Connectivity to Screen
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

This problem seems to be intermittent with no solid way of fixing the problem.  Occasionally, when I use the virtual keyboard, the keys look like they are activating, the letter comes up, however, the screen only records spaces.  For example, I try to type the word 'hello' using the keyboard, the letters show up as usual to show what was entered (that larger letter that pops up when a key is selected) but all I get on the actual screen is 5 spaces.  It has happened in trying to write an e-mail, text or on social media.

I tried the standard restart as well as a full power down and restart, as well as just closing that particular app window and re-opening, but both solutions are hit or miss.  Occasionally it just resets itself and suddenly starts to work properly again.

Ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Virtual Keyboard Loses Connectivity to Screen
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try switching keyboards - you can find several on the Google play store, including SwiftKey and Swype.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

Bumping up...At first the issue was just occurring more regularly on social media so I put it down to those sites, however, it has now progressed to losing connectivity while texting, and will do so in the middle of a message, and even when trying to enter or edit contact information.   

Has anyone else had this problem?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tk3765,

That's definitely odd to hear. The keyboard is a pretty important feature so we need to figure out what might be going on. When did this begin exactly? And to be sure, are you using the pre-installed keyboard or the Google Keyboard?

AdamG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

I am using the virtual keyboard that came with/on the phone...I didn't download or add a separate app...in fact, I didn't even know that was an option.

0 Likes
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

I didnt finish the answer...I got the phone on 12 October.  I posted the original question on 1 November but I had had the problem a week or so before I posted.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tk3765,

I appreciate the extra information that you’ve provided. This is certainly not the experience we want for you to have & I’m confident that we can get this fixed for you. Do you remember installing any new apps to your phone around the time the trouble started? Does your phone show that the software is fully updated? To check, please go to Settings, System Updates & then tap on Check for new system updates.

AliciaS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the ?Correct Answer? button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

All the apps I added were within the first couple of days and everything was working fine for the first 10 days or so.  All update alerts for the phone, and apps, were installed as soon as they came in.  According to the System update feature, the phone is up to date with no updates pending.

As a matter of normal troubleshooting, I disabled all of the apps I had added, but the same issue is coming up.  I did e-mail Samsung directly and they gave me some steps to take. I tried them all, one at a time, including the full factory reset as the last and/or final effort, but the problem is still occurring. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure that we find the main cause of this issue with the keyboard. Did they have you reset the keyboard through the settings by going to Apps > Settings > Language and Input > Samsung Keyboard > Reset Settings?

HarleyE_VZW

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try switching keyboards - you can find several on the Google play store, including SwiftKey and Swype.

0 Likes