Integrated messaging
LAUCAL50

It has worked on my tablet and pc for years. Suddenly this week only a fraction of the messages are showing on additional devices. No change in phone. I've deleted app from pc, tablet, phone, and reinstalled. Nothing is being received.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Integrated messaging
rvonder
Enthusiast - Level 1

My wife is having precisely the same problem, so it seems clear that the problem is on VZW's servers/network and has nothing to do with our local Message+ configurations. Sure wish I'd seen your post before wasting my entire afternoon on this!

She has (believe it or not) a basic LG flip phone, and does most of her texting here at home. She also has a Samsung Tab A wi-fi Android tablet (not 4G), so I installed the Verizon Message+ app from Google Play to let her easily send and receive SMS and MMS messages. This setup has worked perfectly for several years - both incoming and outgoing texts stayed in perfect synch between the phone and tablet, and new texts appeared on both devices almost simultaneously.

Starting yesterday, she received only a subset of incoming text messages on the tablet, although all messages appeared on the phone. Things went further downhill today: Now none of the new texts are being delivered on the tablet. I know that the Message+ app is still connected to the VZW server, because I can send outgoing texts from the tablet without problems.

Like you, I tried all the usual things like clearing the app's data and cache, and even a complete uninstall/reinstall. No difference. I also tried installing Message+ app on my own Android smartphone, as well as the Windows Store version of the Message+ app on my Win 10 tablet. Both are showing the exact same problem... further proof that the issues are totally on Verizon's end.

I tried calling Verizon's tech support. After 30 minutes on hold and explaining everything to the support rep, she finally gave up and connected me to a Level 2 tech. He said that my configuration was not supported, and that they couldn't understand how it had ever worked at all. He insisted that I had to have the Message+ app installed on a smartphone in order to have it also work on secondary devices. That seems ridiculous to me, because the Message+ app connects via the internet to a VZW server - there is no direct connection or interaction between the app and the phone. It doesn't matter one bit whether the primary phone is a simple flip or the most powerful smartphone. SMS is SMS, and works exactly the same way on any device. I also can't find anything on the VZW website stating that a smartphone is a prerequisite to have the app work on a secondary device. This is a VZW server/network problem, pure and simple. Now if we could just find someone who'll take ownership and get it fixed!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

rvonder wrote:

...  He said that my configuration was not supported, and that they couldn't understand how it had ever worked at all. He insisted that I had to have the Message+ app installed on a smartphone in order to have it also work on secondary devices.

I can vouch that a simple flip phone (hubby's LG VX5400) can sync text messages with an Ellipsis tablet running Verizon Messages +.  And he can text from the tablet as well.  As far as I know, it's still working for him.  You need Messages + installed on the tablet, yes, but there's no way to install it on the flip phone.  However, you CAN sync the two!!

There are numerous threads on this forum about the issue; I don't know that there is any solution as of yet, but you are not alone.

rvonder
Enthusiast - Level 1

@SuzyQ, thanks for the confirmation re. flip phones. Since posting, I've discovered literally dozens of threads about Messages+ no longer receiving incoming texts. The posters all have different hardware, so this is indeed a system-wide problem that is totally on Verizon's end. You're correct that it's still unresolved -- in fact, customers are becoming more and more frustrated and hostile because all they're getting are the usual boilerplate runaround responses from VZW staff asking the same basic questions about their individual configurations. Users are at the point of yelling in ALL CAPS that this is a global problem, but so far no one from Verizon will even acknowledge that fact - much less escalate the issue to engineers that can actually fix it.

Would be curious if your hubby's Ellipsis is actually still receiving incoming texts? If so, he's definitely in the minority. It seems like the problem is spreading - some reports appeared as much as two weeks ago, while others (like me) first experienced it only within the last couple days.

I sure hope someone at VZW wakes up soon, because reliable text messaging is a very basic part of any mobile service that, for many users, has become more essential than voice calls or email.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

rvonder wrote:

Would be curious if your hubby's Ellipsis is actually still receiving incoming texts? If so, he's definitely in the minority. It seems like the problem is spreading - some reports appeared as much as two weeks ago, while others (like me) first experienced it only within the last couple days.

Yes, he is still receiving texts on the tablet (as of this morning).  And I am also receiving texts on the computer, as of about 20 minutes ago.  So I guess we are among the lucky ones...  I wish I could offer more than sympathy, but this one is all on Verizon; not much other customers can offer or do to "fix" this.

0 Likes