Why Are My Contacts Showing Up As "Unknown" On Caller ID?
SME1021
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just added 2 lines to my account for my kids.  Both have the iPhone SE.  When someone calls them who is in their contact list, the Caller ID shows up as "Unknown".  I know this is NOT due to someone blocking their number, because I sat in the same room, called their phone, and watched as it showed "Unknown" caller.  This happens for every single person they have in their contacts.  Is there a simple answer to this? Or some setting that needs to be changed?  Thank you!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Contacts show as "Unknown" Caller ID on iPhone SE
SME1021
Enthusiast - Level 2

Solved!  Actually found the answer on another thread. It is NOT an iPhone issue, but rather a carrier issue.   As it turns out, the "Share Name ID" needed to be selected on My Verizon (online - not a setting on the phone itself).  Even though one would think "share name ID" only applies to how your phone number/name is shown on outgoing calls, apparently it also is connected to receiving calls as well. 

View solution in original post

lasinah_vzw
Verizon Employee

Stacey M, we're excited to serve your family's wireless needs on our network. It's imperative that your kids are able to screen their incoming calls. Caller ID is included in your calling plan at no additional charge. As a result, the phone number should populate for all incoming calls with no problem. When did this issue start? Did you make any changes to the features online at My Verizon by removing the Caller ID feature? Caller ID and Caller ID Blocking FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Lasina_VZW

0 Likes
SME1021
Enthusiast - Level 2

We've been having the problem since I activated the phone.  I did not make any changes on My Verizon and removing Caller ID. 

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Well it doesn't seem like it's that important seeing how you responded over 3 weeks later. Have you called customer service?!

0 Likes
SME1021
Enthusiast - Level 2

@pherson    No need to be snarky.  I don't live on the Verizon Wireless message board 24/7.  And yes, I have contacted customer service. They were clueless and didn't have an answer for me.  Said it could possibly be a faulty SIM card, and that they have never heard of this before. Still trying to resolve the issue.  Do YOU have a helpful answer?  Or just further snark??

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

No need to be nasty and yes you need to call.

0 Likes
SME1021
Enthusiast - Level 2

If anyone else has had an issue with this, or knows of a resolution, please let me know!  When I called Verizon they did not have an answer other than a possible faulty SIM - went to the Verizon store and they were confident that this is an iPhone issue, not a carrier issue and that a replacement SIM won't do the trick.  Would like to see if anyone knows what this could be, before I spent hours on the phone with Apple (only for them to tell me Caller ID is a carrier issue...which is what it looks like their response may be from reading threads on their website).  Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

It sure sounds like it is.....when you go in settings, phone, caller id and blocking is it blank?

0 Likes
SME1021
Enthusiast - Level 2

Already tried that...the iPhone SE does not have a "Caller ID" option to select/deselect under the phone settings. 

I also went to the account settings online and turned off the HD Voice option for each phone, as I read on a previous thread that it worked for someone else. But that did not work...still no caller ID.

0 Likes
MRCHILDRESS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Call customer service and ask them to add caller id feature to your line. Caller Id is a network issue. The phone cannot block incoming caller id only outgoing caller id.

0 Likes