Can I limit my own bandwidth (data speed)?
NYC_LIRR_Commuter

I would like to buy some JetPack device or whatever MiFi/personal WiFi device fits my need for my commute on the Long Island Rail Road. One thing I'm trying to figure out is whether I can limit the bandwidth of all connected devices. I hope to use the personal hotspot device to connect my laptop for work purposes and I can work with only 50 Kbps just fine. I would like to use a 1 or 2 GB data plan to control costs.  I would prefer to avoid the hard limits on data usage that would stop me after a threshold is set. These limits are very inconvenient to administrate. For example, at the start of the billing period, on my phone, I typically set the warning limit to alert me at 200 MB of usage and set the stop limit to 300 MB. That helps me avoid using too much of my current 1 GB plan, too quickly in the first couple of days, which can happen very easily with 4G. But once I pass this mark, on say the 10th day, I have to adjust it to warn at 400 MB and stop at 500 GB, then adjust it again if I go over that. And then I have to remember to do it all over again at the start of the cycle.

I wouldn't have to do all of this if I could have the device limit bandwidth (speed) to 50 Kbps. If I could also have the personal hotspot block Windows Update, and a few other services, then the bandwidth should be plenty for my work. The main question here, however is the bandwidth. Does any JetPack model or any other alternative device allow me to throttle the speed like this? I make my speed calculation by taking into account the number of hours I know I will be connected per month on my commute and the size of my data plan.

Also, I have Windows 7. I understand that Windows 10 and maybe Windows 8.1 let users mark a WiFi connection as metered, but I don't have that and my company will not upgrade. Either way, the bandwidth limit is really the silver bullet here.

0 Likes
Re: Can I limit my own bandwidth (data speed)?
Weth
Legend

2 ways to do this that I can think of.

First way - find a jetpack that allows you to set the device to only use 3G EVDO data. That will limit speeds as you won't get LTE speeds

Second way - put the Jetpack on a 2 GB My Verizon plan and turn on safety mode. After you use 2 GB high speed data, you will not get overage and the speed will be 128 Kbps with "limitless" amount of the slow speed data

0 Likes
jasperm_vzw
Verizon Employee

Having a data connection while you are traveling is important for all of us. Let's review your options to see what would be the best one for your account. Take a look at our current devices here Mobile Hotspots, Mobile Internet, MiFi Jetpacks | Verizon Wireless. In regards to your plan options here are our current offers to provide the data you need Verizon Cell Phone Plans | Verizon Wireless.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

And yet, nothing in your answer even remotely addresses the question of limiting data speed.

0 Likes