Can sim card be disabled without removal?
roykirk70

Perhaps my iPhone 6s isn't capable of what I'm trying to do (or maybe no phone or carrier allows such a thing), but I thought I'd ask here before I give up.  When I'm at home, I use my regular Verizon account on my iPhone 6.  However, I travel for business a lot and one of the places I travel frequently I'd like to be able to use T-Mobile and their GSM network.  I had this idea that I could take a T-Mobile sim card, put it in my iPhone and then be able to switch back and forth (manually) between Verizon and T-Mobile as I needed.  When I tried this though, the phone automatically defaults to the T-Mobile sim card and doesn't seem to give me any option I can find to switch back to Verizon.  The problem is that at home there's no reliable GSM coverage.  Remove the T-Mobile sim card and it reverts back to Verizon just fine.

So anyway, I had been hoping there was a way to just go in to settings somewhere and easily switch between Verizon and my T-Mobile sim card.  However, so far it doesn't look like that's possible.  I really don't want to have to manually switch out my sim card every time I travel (it's a real pain in the neck with the Otter case I have).  I guess if there are no options I'll just have to get used to carrying two phones around. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can sim card be disabled without removal?
Weth
Legend

There is only 1 SIM slot and whatever SIM card in there is the network the phone will attach to.

You need the Verizon SIM in place for the phone to work on Verizon

You need the Tmobile SIM in place for the phone to work on Tmobile

The phone won't work without any SIM in the slot. Verizon now requires SIM

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

There is only 1 SIM slot and whatever SIM card in there is the network the phone will attach to.

You need the Verizon SIM in place for the phone to work on Verizon

You need the Tmobile SIM in place for the phone to work on Tmobile

The phone won't work without any SIM in the slot. Verizon now requires SIM

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

What you want is a dual sim phone.

There are very few dual sim phones and I can't think of any with CDMA bands.