Why Am I Experiencing Slow Data On My Device?
CGrosberger

I got Verizon prepaid service about 4 days ago and used up all my high speed data and was automatically switched to always on data. Well I couldn't even play internet radio even when I let it buffer so I did a speed test and was getting less than 20Kbps when I was supposed to get 128kps speeds. So I called support and the girl didn't understand the problem I guess? And gave me a quarter of a gig of high speed data and said that would fix it. But after that ran out it didn't fix anything. Anyone else have this problem? solutions? Attached are my speed tests done at varying times over the course of a few days to rule out congestion among other things. image.jpg

I live in 61727 and i am using a iPhone 6

Edit: Side note one of the reasons I went with Verizon is so I could use the radio even when my data was out.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Very Slow always on data
Weth
Legend

You are getting the correct speed, 128 kbps or 16 kB/s.

Notice the units indicator says kB/s - as in kiloBytes per second. You are promised 128 kilobits per second

There are 8 bits in a byte, so 16 bytes * 8 bits/byte = 128 bits

You can get streaming to work if it is low quality streaming - you will need to change settings on your streaming service to use low quality.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You are getting the correct speed, 128 kbps or 16 kB/s.

Notice the units indicator says kB/s - as in kiloBytes per second. You are promised 128 kilobits per second

There are 8 bits in a byte, so 16 bytes * 8 bits/byte = 128 bits

You can get streaming to work if it is low quality streaming - you will need to change settings on your streaming service to use low quality.

0 Likes
CGrosberger

When I signed up I was led to believe it was kilobytes. Thanks for clearing that up.

0 Likes
rch1028
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same situation, but my dataspeed are even worst and I live next to the Apple HQ in Cupertino, CA. 95014

Most of the times I get data speed of less than 15Mbps.Most of the times I get data speed of less than 15Mbps.

I wonder if by switching to their post paid plan that their data speed will be faster (currently on PREPAID to test Verizon system and so far not satisfied with the dataspeed).