2 Yr. Contract Gone?*
OSISIL32

I've read that if I am on an old VZW I still have the option to to continue a 2 year contract & opt out for the extra $30 a month to my phone bill? Cause I know apple.com has that option to still get into an old 2 year contract.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 2 Yr. Contract Gone?*
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Two year contracts are, pretty much, history at this point for mobile phone service. New plans have no specific time limit and discount pricing for new phones is gone. Carriers, and some OEMs offer an option to spread out the cost of new phones over a twenty four month period.

I am holding onto my More Every Unlimited Talk & Text plan until I upgrade my Samsung Galaxy S4. At that point, I'll have to crunch the numbers as well as decide if reverting back to separate billing for my wireless service is worth the while (I am grandfathered into One Bill).

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

If you are on the Verizon Plan, you cannot get a 2 yr service contract thru Verizon. It appears you MAY be able to get one thru Best Buy. I don't understand why that is available, but that option pops up if you purchase online thru Best buy. Not sure what would happen if you stopped in a Best Buy store to make the purchase.

Verizon, along with all other providers, are moving away from phone subsidies and towards paying full retail for devices. With this move, it may be likely that the cost of these devices would start to fall at some point since it is also likely fewer people would be willing/able to upgrade at the same frequency with these current full retail prices.

I think manufacturers keep the prices of these cell phones artificially high because cellular providers have been subsidizing the price for so long. No other type of electronic device ALWAYS sells routinely at its full retail price. There are ALWAYS price drops for ALL other electronic devices from the MSRP from almost the day they are released EXCEPT for cell phones(aside from Apple devices, that is, where people don't seem to care what price they pay as long as it has that logo on the deviceSmiley Happy). What possible reason could there be other than to make you think you are getting such a good deal on the subsidized device. This appears to be blatant price fixing and I personally think people paying full retail will push prices down.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know upgrading is an exciting time OSISIL32. We always want to make sure that you are aware of all your options for upgrade. I have sent you a private message so I can further review your account to give you accurate information.

AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tk3765
Contributor - Level 3

The way it was explained to me is, if you went with the new "Verizon Plan," the 2-yr contract went away.  I upgraded for a month as I was fast approaching data overage (due to Olympics streaming) and was trying to bypass the overage charge.  Once I changed over from the unlimited talk and text, which was the 2-yr contract, I couldn't go back so lost the 2-yr plan option.

Verizon will, or so I was told by the rep, honor a new 2-yr if you haven't changed the plan to the new "Verizon Plan" version.

0 Likes